Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss How To Remove Gloss Paint??? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

On one

Hi All
As above how do you remove 8m2 of gloss paint from a plastered bathroom wall(easily)
I can't steam it off(Even if I could pierce the gloss I would end up steaming off the finish plaster first)
I can't heat gun it off(see above)
I can't apply cheapo adhesive and dissolve it(wouldn't permeate the gloss anyway)
I could reskim with plaster(But curing times and tile weight issues might arise)
Answers on a postcard please......

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Why can't you heat gun it off?
I've never had a problem with it damaging the plaster.

O

On one

I would have thought if it's hot enough to blister the paint it would also blister the plaster?

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Worth atest with the heat gun and scraper If the plaster burns and brittles could test a Paint /Chemical stripper , will need to rinse and dry

J

Just Rizzle

I would use my fien multitool with appropriate attatchment tool attatched to vacume cleaner no problem.:)

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would have thought if it's hot enough to blister the paint it would also blister the plaster?

It'll be fine - trust me, done it loads of times.
Trial and error has led me to always using this method
The paint will blister and rubberise and come off in nice satisfying strips. Plaster conducts the heat away and will remain untouched. I've had blow torches catching plaster skim before and while it may blacken it, it doesn't make it blister or do any damage obvious damage and the heat from a heat gun is nowhere near.
Sanding is a right pain and messy and the pads just clog up in seconds.

Last edited:
R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

ok heres one out of the box re paint with gloss using a roller now lay in isomat 1mm float back with trowel wait to dry now tile isomat who nows might work .think out of the box to solve every day problems .

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've always wondered about the effectiveness of putting something like ecoprim on well adhered gloss paint.
Let's face it - steamer, heater, sander whatever... it's always a pain in the butt, thankless task.

A

Aston

Ok, so you wont use a heat gun.
and you wont sand it up to form a key and use a primer over the top
and you wont overboard (always a good option)
then it just leaves one option doesn't it, knock the bleedin wall down and build a new one :rolleyes: only kidding

You could use a paint stripper? something along the lines of this from polycell View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZB5PcdVwbg

Reply to How To Remove Gloss Paint??? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.

There are similar tiling threads here

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks