Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss How to remove dried adhesive from trowel? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

dingabell

Hi there. I lent my trowels to someone who was doing some tiling for themselves, and they've let the adhesive dry all over them. There's no way it's going to come off by scraping it. Does anyone know if there's any product I can use to get it off? I was thinking of maybe trying the cement remover you can buy?

J

J Sid

Put them in the bin. Buy new ones. Send this person the bill. And learn a lesson, don't lend your tools to friends, they never look after them like you would.

I

Ian

A grinder will so it, I'd be getting new ones though and charging them. I very rarely lend my tools out to people, they never look after them properly.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Pin hammer, sit trowel on top ledge of skip, hit and then scrape, easier keeping them clean though to start with!!!

Tell him to buy his own next time!!!

D

Dougs Third Go

what addy is it? if it was tubbed stuff, try soaking them in hot water. If it was real addy then angle grinder.

D

dingabell

what addy is it? if it was tubbed stuff, try soaking them in hot water. If it was real addy then angle grinder.
It was proper addy, not the rubbed stuff.
Will try the acid first, then an angle grinder if that doesn't work. Looks like my friend just got himself a secondhand set of trowels for the price of some shiney new ones. :smilewinkgrin:

lucius

TF
Reaction score
Be carefull with the acid it can damage the trowels try soaking them in vinegar for a couple of days it should fall of just makes them go black but dosent harm the trowel

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I put one of my bucket trowels into a bucket of [FONT=Open Sans, arial, sans-serif]phosphoric acid for a few days. Trowel is now too bendy to hold addy! I find it's quite therapeutic cleaning trowels and tools. The acid will work, but don't leave it soaking for too long. [/FONT]

D

dingabell

Right, I'll ignore the acid and try the angle grinder tomorrow. If that doesn't work it won't matter as he'll probably be asked nicely to have my old ones and get me some new ones. Good job I didn't lend him my wet cutter as well.

J

J Sid

I tried an angle grinder on one of mine 3 years ago, it slipped and put a 4" gash in my thigh, no blood and no pain but went down to the bone. An evening in A&E stitching up muscles and flesh. BE CAREFULL !!!! Just buy a new one only £8

judge

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Im sure b n q will sell one of them plastic spreaders to replace youre trowel with .......soz, couldnt resit it :sofahide:

Reply to How to remove dried adhesive from trowel? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks