Search the forum,

Discuss How long before you can tile onto sand/cement screed? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

John the tile

How long does screed take to dry before you can tile onto it? Can you tile straight onto it or does it need slc first?

Thanks

I

Ian

How thick is the screed and what type is it? Also does it contain a wet heating system?

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

1mm per day is a rule of thumb, eg 70mm = 70 days, but as above more info would help:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

1mm per day for the first 40mm and then 0.5 mm per day after that.

You can tile on it quicker with the use of a vapour equalisation membrane.

J

John the tile

Basically I was presented with a very old screeded floor that was covered in cracks and blown and delaminated from its concrete substrate. This screed is only 35/40mm thick. I dont know why it never bonded properly as it was probably done over 50 years ago.. its a 1910 house.

The 35mm thickness took the level up to the same height as the dining room. I would say the screed is very hard concrete with stones in it.

I think the substrate under the blown screed is some different form of concrete, with aggregate in it but not as rock hard as the stuff thats been ripped up.

Could anyone advise on my options prior to tiling? Ive included photos of the existing floor with cracks and some chunks taken out, you can see the rest is delaminated and also a final photo of the underneath substrate.

Thanks P1060053.jpg P1060058.jpg P1060056.jpg P1060060.jpg P1060062.jpg P1060063.jpg P1060064.jpg

Attachments

• P1060059.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 59
C

craigdon

Sand & cement screed minimum of 3 weeks (commissioned if heated screed), concrete minimum 6 weeks, andhydrite has to be totally dry is what I've always adhered to.

D

DHTiling

Sand & cement screed minimum of 3 weeks (commissioned if heated screed), concrete minimum 6 weeks, andhydrite has to be totally dry is what I've always adhered to.

Then you need to check your BS5385 standards..

C

craigdon

I knew one of the adhesive companies worked on 3 weeks for s/c, so have just read up and found this was BAL, are you saying they aren't working to BS? Interesting

C

craigdon

BAL Adhesives - Technical Support

Here's what I found.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

You cannot say it is 3 weeks for all screeds etc, the drying time is based on screed depth, as above there is a set drying time at 20dgs cel , adhere to that and this will make sure a screed is dry..

Also though a screed or concrete slab can be tiled to earlier if a vapour equalisation membrane is used.. and you can also use a green screed adhesive but for efflorescence reasons i would use the membrane.

Reply to How long before you can tile onto sand/cement screed? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen