Search the forum,

Discuss How do you set out a full bathroom ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Leatherface

Guys - Bathroom walls ?
just out of curiosity - what methods do people use to set out ? How do they decide where to put their first course of tiles ?
I have my own method & know it works. This discussion may enlighten a few of the new guys out there
:lightbulb:

Y

yoza 114

set out from a focul point window bath toilet all depends on lay out ov room. then measure tile + grout line then set out top 2 bottom 2 check out the cuts in corners + top + bottom

C

Concept PHT

Pick a spot, drop the tile on it and mark the wall. Then get your laser level and mark the room perimeter out. Work your first course strictly to that line.

The check the spirit of that first course. If all ok (it should be), bang em on all day long!!

Factors affecting : cuts around windows / end cuts. - Obviously adjust accordingly. Using a home made tile staff will quickly identify these areas anyway.

Plus, I always wip the basin and toilet out then put it back all sealed and piped in correctly.

For the perfect job!! :)

C

Concept PHT

Yes I do, as it says in the description. Using a tile staff will enable you to work out where the best cuts are. Or you can do it the hard way and mark the tile across the wall / floor to see where the best cut is.

I forgot to mention about the bath too. Best to go a full tile from the bath upwards wherever possible.

Well thats what I do anyway... :p

L

Leatherface

Well here's how I do it.

1. Mark a straight line around the room at any height - usually half way. This line is the datum line ( or reference point )
2. Find the highest ceiling point & lowest floor point - First to the ceiling - use a staff and go around the room at 2 ft intervals, marking the staff where it meets the line at every point. You will end up with a series of marks on the staff -the distance between lowest & highest is the amount that your ceiling runs out. Repeat for the floor.
Knowing this will enable you to make sure that the cuts at ceiling & floor do not end up as sliver cuts.
3. Make a staff with tile & grout lines for vertical set up.
4. Choose a point where you would like to start tiling.
5. Mark staff against datum line from this point & go around the room checking what size of cuts there will be at door, window, shower, ceiling & floor height.
6. If you are not happy with any then adjust accordingly until you are happy. You will then know ( & be able to explain to the customer ) - why you have started there. It is always nice to start full tile around the bath - but not at the expense of having, for example a tiny raked cut at ceiling height.
7. Use staff also to check horizontal cuts.

Start tiling in the knowledge that there will be no nasty surprises along the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kapitan

Well here's how I do it.

1. Mark a straight line around the room at any height - usually half way. This line is the datum line ( or reference point )
2. Find the highest ceiling point & lowest floor point - First to the ceiling - use a staff and go around the room at 2 ft intervals, marking the staff where it meets the line at every point. You will end up with a series of marks on the staff -the distance between lowest & highest is the amount that your ceiling runs out. Repeat for the floor.
Knowing this will enable you to make sure that the cuts at ceiling & floor do not end up as sliver cuts.
3. Make a staff with tile & grout lines for vertical set up.
4. Choose a point where you would like to start tiling.
5. Mark staff against datum line from this point & go around the room checking what size of cuts there will be at door, window, shower, ceiling & floor height.
6. If you are not happy with any then adjust accordingly until you are happy. You will then know ( & be able to explain to the customer ) - why you have started there. It is always nice to start full tile around the bath - but not at the expense of having, for example a tiny raked cut at ceiling height.
7. Use staff also to check horizontal cuts.

Start tiling in the knowledge that there will be no nasty surprises along the way.
ffs what do you do on day 2??? :wink_smile:

L

Leatherface

What do I do on day ? - I don't understand question.

Floors - I use two straight edges and a Rubi square - find the best line to take - off units or wall - figure out best line. Then use staff on floor to determine cts.
It doesn't matter if there are 10 rooms going off each other - I square off into each room - draw a line. Then with my staff work out where my cuts are in each room. Adjust - if there are to be any small cuts I decide where they will go.
Simple

Reply to How do you set out a full bathroom ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen