Search the forum,

Discuss Help: tile size for 800x800 shower enclosure in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

ceet

Dear All

Hope someone can help! Tiling 800x800 shower enclosure, have purchased the following Bal items for the tiler following advice available here:
  • single part flexible adhesive
  • waterproofing kit
  • microflex grout
  • sealant
The walls have been replastered by plasterer but house is mega old, so walls still not quite flush!

Would love to get largish tiles but, as I understand it, for such walls smaller tiles are best, so I've bought 20x20cms.

My questions are:
  • would a bigger tile be feasible with such a slightly uneven wall and, if so, what is the likely maximum size tile size that I could get away with; and,
  • is this 20x20 tile size inadvisable?
Know this is a diffiicult one to call without actually seeing the wall in question, but would appreciate any words of advice you still might have!

Many thanks

Ceet

W

White Room

If you had larger tiles you could lose the shape of the wall, smaller tile you will have to follow the shape of the wall.

If you do change your tiles keep them to ceramic for the weight issues on the wall.

C

ceet

If you had larger tiles you could lose the shape of the wall, smaller tile you will have to follow the shape of the wall.

If you do change your tiles keep them to ceramic for the weight issues on the wall.

Many thanks, Whitebeam, for getting back so quickly: do you mean that I could indeed use a larger tile inspite of the uneven wall?

Had heard that if wall uneven then was restricted to smaller size? Confused!

W

White Room

Depending how uneven, larger tiles can be bedded out with addy to bring the wall quite level, smaller tiles would need a flatter wall to look good

C

ceet

Depending how uneven, larger tiles can be bedded out with addy to bring the wall quite level, smaller tiles would need a flatter wall to look good

Cheers, Whitebeam: guess I'm wondering whether or not 20x20 size is usually considered fine for shower area given increased grout area?

W

White Room

There fine, just check the wall and any hollows fill out with your addy and use a straight edge or a piece of straight wood to smooth out, then let it addy go off before you tile.

Prime the walls first, not pva

C

ceet

There fine, just check the wall and any hollows fill out with your addy and use a straight edge or a piece of straight wood to smooth out, then let it addy go off before you tile.

Prime the walls first, not pva

Whitebeam, you're a star!x

Reply to Help: tile size for 800x800 shower enclosure in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen