Search the forum,

Discuss Hello to you experts out there on Victorian Tile restoration in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Phil Robinson

Hey guys, Just joined the forum today and looking for some advice please. I am an avid DIY'er but have moved into an old 1905 house that has some geometric white and black tiles in the outside porch and the internal porch.

I have tried cleaning them with Lithofin tile Restorer, the area to be treated is only small 2m[SUP]2[/SUP] so thought I would do it myself. The lithofin has got a lot of the dirt off but the white tiles are still discoloured with dirt and slight pocketing.

I followed the instructions of putting the lithofin on agitated with a nail brush and left it for 15-20 mins and did not let it dry. But really keen to get the rest of this dirt out if I can.

Just wondering if there are any other products that I can use and also once they are cleaned what is best product then to seal and polish them with to get a nice luster/shine back on them. IMG_0705.jpg IMG_0706.jpg

Thanks for your help guys.

Regards

Phil

H

hillhead

Hi Phil, there is some geometric experts on here.They will respond when they get a chance. Tenchman, Phil Hobson, tommyzoom and enduro is the polishing pro.It sounds to me like a deep grind and polish is required but be patient there for now.

G

Gazzer

Hi Phil, there is some geometric experts on here.They will respond when they get a chance. Tenchman, Phil Hobson, tommyzoom and enduro is the polishing pro.It sounds to me like a deep grind and polish is required but be patient there for now.

Ahem...and Timeless John :thumbsup:

P

Phil Robinson

IMG_0707.jpg IMG_0708.jpg

Also just wondering for future reference when talking about the tiles what type of tiles would these be are they ceramic tiles with them being all one colour. Thanks for your help guys.

T

Time's Ran Out

:welcome: Phil - the tiles you asked about in your 2nd post are Encaustic - a mix of coloured cement poured into moulds. Extreme care should be taken using the following products anywhere near the darker colours of this material.
The porch tiles MAY come up better if you use a 15 per cent acid cleaner (patio/brick cleaner) washing with clean water. Or you could try Nitromorse (water soluble). With both these suggestions please test a discreet tile first and wear gloves and goggles.
Note : this advice is given in good faith and no responsibility for damage will be accepted.

P

Phil Robinson

Thanks John thats great would you seal them after I have cleaned them and if so what is best please. Thanks Phil

P

Phil Robinson

Also you say take care near the darker colours so the tiles are only black and white so I should keep the acid completely away from these tiles is that correct. Thanks Phil

T

Time's Ran Out

Also you say take care near the darker colours so the tiles are only black and white so I should keep the acid completely away from these tiles is that correct. Thanks Phil

The porosity of these tiles is such that too much cleaning (acid) will bleach the colour. You must test an area first and be ready to wash off immediately, for the area you have you could do a test area with a modelling paintbrush. You are looking for a lint type cloth to soak up the dirt from the pores of the tile.
When clean to your approval, the tiles must be bone dry before any seal is applied, 2/3 days without damp conditions, and Lithofin Stain Stop or impregnater will be ok. But make sure any excess is buffed off after 10/15minutes if lying on the surface.

H

hillhead

Trust me to not mention John, lol.
You're in great hands there Phil.
Sorry John, at least Neale caught on.
I was busy tiling 600 square porcelains.

P

Phil Robinson

After you put the stain stop on do also need to use the KF tile polish to give them a sheen or does the stain stop do that any way please.

T

Time's Ran Out

You can use a polish (such as HG Golvpolish) for inside to ease maintenance but outside they recommend leaving the tile just sealed as a polish could make them slippery and it would only last a few weeks anyway.
Normal cleaning with soapy water tends to leave a sheen build up.

D

DHTiling

Hello and welcome... looks like TJ has sorted you out.... he is one of the best on this subject, only thing i can add is i am not keen on soapy water... detergents shorten the life of the sealer..

Let us know how you get on..

Reply to Hello to you experts out there on Victorian Tile restoration in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen