Search the forum,

Discuss Harrods Stand, Sleep Exhibition, London 2015 in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

.......so as u've probably already seen, @Ray TT @ Porcel-Thin exhibits at the Sleep Exhibition every year, and has done for the past 4-5, sorry can't remember exactly.
Anyway, it's Europes premier exhibition for the hotel industry.

Welcome to Sleep - Sleep

Well this year Ray was contacted by Harrods, they have an inhouse design team that go by the name of 'The Studio', and they asked if Ray would collaborate with them, quite a prestigious invitation I'm sure you'll agree!

Home - The Studio at Harrods

Well several weeks ago Ray started a thread about some Porcel-Thin tiles called 'Calcutta' a tile with a running design that ran throughout the tiles.

Well this is what the designer at 'The Studio' asked for.

So Sat morning @GaryTheTiler, @Ray TT @ Porcel-Thin, two lads from Gary's and Ray's teams, John and Brian, and myself set off for the BDC in Isslington Noth London (British Design Centre) to start preparing the set for Harrods.

We encountered the usual shopfitting type problems on a large scale! Haha
Hundreds of bodies, tons of kit, absolutely no space and tons of jobsworths everywhere!
So after lugging tons of kit and boxes of tiles up to the second floor and down narrow walkways we finally arrived on the same floor as the stand,
but not particularly near it! :)
After sorting everything out and getting prepped and hassling the joiners who were still building the set!:eek:
We finally put our first tile down at 3.30!
Bearing in mind we were being thrown out (quite literally!) at 6pm on the dot!!
So we at least made a start!
Sunday we were allowed entry at 9am and again ejected at 6pm.
Well we fixed everything bar one small cut, reason for that was I cut it 3mm too long and it didn't fit and they would NOT allow me to trim it and fit it. Told u they were jobsworths!
But we did everything else.
Monday we grouted in the morning and as u know helped Ray with his own set after that!
And I must say, all things considered, we done bloody well!
It was a good team effort and everyone pulled more than their weight!
I was lucky enough to work alongside both Ray and Gary, that was a great experience and a lot of fun!
Well ok, some of it was fun, the rest was graft! Haha
And I must say, a privilege as well!
I'd certainly do it again tomorrow!
For me it was learning experience of the biggest kind. Didn't have time to think about laying a format I'd not used before, it was just a case of hurry up! Haha
A great way to learn tho, and certainly from two of he best out there, thanks guys!!

Now I've bored u to death I'll shut up and let u see what we managed to accomplish.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
As u can see once the pattern comes to an end, all 4.8 X 3m of it, u switch it around and start again. It also bas the ability to wrap around a room and still bond with the floor! Haha it was fun sorting them out! Hahahaha :rolleyes:
And the last image, for those who have yet to have the privilege, is of the man himself
Ray tt!
Mind u he was only posing for the camera! Hahaha ;)
We ALL worked out arses off!
'The Studio' we're delighted with it, as was every other passer by!!!
And it was by FAR the best tiling at the show, of course!;)

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

Love the way they run up the walls with pattern matching, Harrods now that's up market, not digressing but I was in Islington Monday and Tuesday..

Reply to Harrods Stand, Sleep Exhibition, London 2015 in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen