Search the forum,

Discuss HardiBacker & Floor Level? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
So a total of about 9mm between the concrete and the tile,

Agree with above, once you tile the HB board you will increase the height by at least 3mm more to the underside of the tile, so you would be at least 9mm low on the concrete

H

hmtiling

So a total of about 9mm between the concrete and the tile,

Agree with above, once you tile the HB board you will increase the height by at least 3mm more to the underside of the tile, so you would be at least 9mm low on the concrete
I give up

H

hmtiling

Could someone with more patience explain that the height discrepancy would not include the adhesive bed as you'll have that on both sides!

Reaction score

This of course assumes that the floor boards and the concrete are level to start with.
Just for giggles

D

Dumbo

the tiles on the concrete need adhesive say 3mm so that negates bringing that into the equation . So what the op needs to allow for is the difference in floor heights prior to tiling i.e. 6mm Hardie plus adhesive for Hardie which is not much ( especially for me as I tread mine in )

RandyC

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies fellas, I appreciate the help. SLC is the way to go by the sounds of it. I'll pick up some decent S1 for the floorboard side.

I assume flexible grout will also need to be used on the floorboard tiled side, aswell as where it joins with the concrete?

D

Dumbo

Thanks for the replies fellas, I appreciate the help. SLC is the way to go by the sounds of it. I'll pick up some decent S1 for the floorboard side.

I assume flexible grout will also need to be used on the floorboard tiled side, aswell as where it joins with the concrete?
Flexible grout is a must . Where the two floors meet you will need something more flexible than grout i.e. Colour matched silicone

RandyC

TF
Reaction score
Flexible grout is a must . Where the two floors meet you will need something more flexible than grout i.e. Colour matched silicone

Perfect, ok good job I asked that, I will be using a grey grout is that something you can pick up easily from a tile store, the silicon I mean, or is it just general no nonsense silicon type stuff?

Also I assume it's best to get the Hardiboards down and then sort the SLC up to the same level?

Last edited:
D

Dumbo

Perfect, ok good job I asked that, I will be using a grey grout is that something you can pick up easily from a tile store, the silicon I mean, or is it just general no nonsense silicon type stuff?

Also I assume it's best to get the Hardiboards down and then sort the SLC up to the same level?
Most grout manufacturers do a matching colour silicone grout . Yes Hardie first the level up to it .

Reply to HardiBacker & Floor Level? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I‘ve just finished tiling the majority of my garden path. Base is concrete, and tiles are...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen