Search the forum,

Discuss Hardi Backer in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tommy1712

i use a fair amount of hardi backer and while it's great stuff it's also a massive pain in the arse.
Heavy
Horrible to cut
Worse to cut holes in
Then there's fixing it
The screws are awfull
Fixing is my biggest gripe by a mile where it is so hard it sometimes does not pull in to the stud work and pushes out a little. Then can't pull it in with the screws as they either round off, snap the impact bits. If just using a screw gun it's even worse.

What's people's views on alternatives like aqua panel where it's a quarter of the weight and **** easy to work with. Don't get me wrong it's a good product but not without faults. I love the 6mm on floors can't see me using anything else

T

Time's Ran Out

I think your right.
Only ever used it on floors and boxing work. For walls I'd much prefer Wedi.
I believe the cost of washer fixing are worth it to give that extra strength mechanical fixing provides.

O

One Day

I see no reason ever EVER to use it on walls. Take for instance kerdi board. Far lighter, fully waterproof. No dust. Takes great weight. Cuts all day with one Stanley blade. ok it costs more but is so much faster to work with especially in creating wet areas.

T

tommy1712

for floors it takes some beating as its so fast and can crack straight on with tiles ones it's down. But the walls are just a pig and the cutting is a pain especially if you need to just take a small section off like 20-50mm good luck I just lose my rag and shove a skill saw through it.
Used Aqua panel that a customer provided and yes it's no where near as strong but so much faster and lighter.
I do like how good hardi is to fix to a uno plug is plenty enough.

O

One Day

We need to use whatever works for us. remember that hb and aqua panel aren't waterproof though. They will pass water through to the background. I'm always open to try new products but sometimes we stick with what we know works. I still use 6mm hb on floors that aren't going to get wet.

T

tommy1712

I can't see me using anything other than 6mm hb on floors it's fast and leaves out and can tile straight away. I just need a alternative for walls, tbh even moisture board ain't that bad, how many rip outs have you done when there's normal plaster board that's been there for decades and it's totally fine underneath. Agreed mb ain't ideal but I will use it if the customer won't dip there hand in there pocket on the understanding that it weren't my advice.
What alternatives to hb and pros and cons

kevsalt

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
was shown a new marmox type board lat week ...the usual syrene core is different alot stronger blue in colour but just as light as marmox ....seemed really tough stuff ....might be the new kid on the block

H

hmtiling

I'm a nmp fan. After using both hb and nmp I much prefer the rigidity nmp gives over hb on floors.
As for walls, it has to be a decent foam core backer board mechanically fixed.

J

Just Rizzle

we use different products depending on the clients needs and wall types last week we did a 1930,s semi with poor quality breeze blocks so our method was 12mm hardy backer board over a 12 mm rapid setting adhesive also mechanically fixed using concrete fixings and wedi ring fixings we prefer concrete fixing rather than the backer board screws the fixing are 80mm

magga

TF
Reaction score
I have to agree with all your points tommy, I use it quite a bit and it is a complete pain to cut and screws don't seem to countersink into it properly. I use gold screws or turbo gold from screwfix but they often pull out the wood before countersinking. To prevent impact bits snapping I recommend diamond wera bits along with their "impaktor" bit holder.

Reply to Hardi Backer in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen