Search the forum,

Discuss Hardi backer or ditra on wooden floor???? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Ren+

If this has been asked before I apologise, maybe someone can point me to a thread that covers this. I see many posts where tilers mention that, on wood, they don't tile without putting ditra down first and other posts mention just backer board or ply/backerboard. The question is when is it best to use ditra and when to use backer on wooden floors. Thx in advance to all input.

C

Concrete guy

A few questions that will be asked.

What area of floor are you covering in m2?

Are these old rickety 6" floorboards or modern 18mm T&G?

What are you tiling the floor with? Stone, porcelain, ceramic etc?

G

Gazzer

A very basic answer IMO is Ditra etc is for lateral movement, not vertical ie bouncy floors and deflection.
Where the sub floor has Bounce or deflection then this needs to be sorted beforehand.

As above though , there are many more questions that would need to be asked before specifying this job.

R

Ren+

Thanks for your input guys. To answer your questions ... I'm trying to get the best fail proof system for doing wood floors in general, so I can't say to you that the current floor situation is "x". I hear what you are saying, there are variables that will affect the choice of materials to use. Sir Ramic, IMHO, I'd agree with you that ditra would not help with bouncy floors, but then I'd say nor would backer board. Therefor I'm still not clear where and if ditra would be better than backer and vice-a-versa. Basically what I'm trying to confirm is when to use ditra, backer or both. What I do realise is that you should stabilise the subfloor before applying either. I would still appreciate your further input guys.

Thanks

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd strengthen the floor now, before the ditra and / or backerboards.

Then if anything, use a backerboard then.

How big of an area is the floor? I'd perhaps not bother with ditra on a smallish floor if you've strengthened it and used backerboard too. If it's a large floor, then as Sir Ramic says, the lateral movement will be secured by using something like ditra or dural.

G

Gazzer

True Backer boards add no strength IMO. Noggins and 18mm WBP (good quality) ply is the best way to add strength. Screwed to the joists at 200mm centres.
I always add backerboard to tile to as it provides a much better surface for the tile adhesive.

Reply to Hardi backer or ditra on wooden floor???? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen