Currently reading:
Hand held floor grinding set up

Discuss Hand held floor grinding set up in the Tiling Tools area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

22BA8C54-C4B7-4BE3-AF37-F76317897BB0.jpeg

F

Flintstone

I've got a 9 inch grinder with a cowling attached to a single motor industrial dust extractor which I use for pretty much every floor I tile whether it's simply grinding the surface to remove latience , contaminants or taking high spots down.
Checkout a floor preperation site like pwm or surface preperation

Do you run it using a 9 inch cup and cowl? Most are 7 inch from what I’ve seen

F

Flintstone

Yeah I said that to Mate yesterday, need to test it on an old flag stone. I also learnt something last night. My friend is a manager at A Big name hire shop and we were talking about it and dust etc, he said they aren’t allowed to call most vac’s dust extractors now as they let silica pass through and get airborne. Only the new Hilt dust extractors have the correct filter ration to collect silica safely! From them anyway, not sure if other makes do it. Class M dust extraction. My question which I’m not sure of is, does anhydrite produce silica once sanded ?

O

Old Mod

To get a definitive answer on what is produced, ask @Ajax123 Andy.

As far as site vacuums go, HSE now insist on a minimum of an M class extractor.
What makes an M class extractor is basically 3 things.
1 dust extraction of less than <1% dusts.
2 a Power take Off point, so that extractor and tool work as one.
3. An audible alarm if suction reduces or bags are Full.
H class is for is for carcinogenic dusts, asbestos, mounds etc.
It has all the above attributes but filters down to
<0.005% dusts.
Does that answer your question Andy?
And there are other makes that filter to that level, in fact quite a few known brands do.

O

Old Mod

I have just been googling and seen there’s quite a lot that do m class like you say. I never knew. So my vac being a none m class, probably allows the silica to pass into the air? Especially if I press the filter clean button which blows out the side! Wonder how many people actually have an up to date dust extractor
If they work on site, a lot won’t have a choice mate.
Mines only an L class and needs updating even tho I have power take off and filters that meet <0.1%,
But it doesn’t have an alarm so it’s no good. Average price for one is £5-600

W

WetSaw

I'll post some pictures of what goes on here.
An example: Last year the electricity company were working on some cabling on the edge of the village, using a cherry picker. The road is quite a steep hill. No safe area had been cordoned off. It ended up tipping over and crushing a woman ( who happens to be the mother of a guy I know) causing life changing injuries.
I do think it's gone too far in the UK but it's crazy here sometimes.

Reply to Hand held floor grinding set up in the Tiling Tools area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for tiling.I have removed the floor boards and plan to lay 18mm WBP plywood.The question is, what...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Morning all. Dan asked me to post up a thread about our training centre which he can then use for feedback. We have been established in Newport, South Wales (just across the bridge from Bristol)...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

You're browsing the Tiling Tools category on TilersForums.com. Find the correct trowels to use with which type of tiling. Find advice on lash clips and levelling systems and more.