Search the forum,

Discuss Guarantees in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spud

Just how long do all guarantee a job for?
I got a wetroom fail from over two years ago...tray n waste etc was fitted by builders/plumber, tanked and tiled by myself.. Going on Tuesday for a butchers, should I be charging after 2 years?
it depends on what has caused the failure don't worry yourself until you know the root cause

S

Spare Tool

Hi Andy, I can't find the website I'm thinking of but I think law says only 12 months for defective workmanship.

How much do you value your rep with this client? Is the failure down to you or to them?
Personally I'd never tile onto someone elses prep (aside from a small handful of people I know personally)
Thats the question...is the fail down to me or not, could be a seeping joint or waste backing up, gonna be hard to tell without taking a ceiling down, all I can do is go for a look Tuesday, but if I then start resiliconing etc and if it still leaks is the whole worry still on my shoulders, had to order mapie silicone n grout in from TGiant so spent £25 on it already.. Could you post a Link to the one year guarantee please mate? ;)

S

Spare Tool

Why are you being asked to have a look and not the plumber and builder? more chance to be their responsibility.
Thats a good point actually, the builders got onto me to sort it, i done a lot of work for him in the past and more to come in the future, so agreed to go check things out, perhaps that was the wrong call from the outset :(

O

One Day

Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 - Which?

Under "guarantees" - seems to imply that a case could go to court and they would determine what a "reasonable" amount of time would be.

If I were you Andy (and I wanted to put right IF it was my fault) - I would offer to investigate the cause, photograph etc and if it wasn't my fault - invoice for the time investigating.

I've done this 2 years ago when I had several floor tiles fail.
I panicked like mad and after cutting a hole in the floor found cardboard packers under the joists had caused the floors to drop all over the place. Nothing at all to do with me but I charged a day rate and got it.
Better than that though was being vindicated.

gamma38

TF
Bedford
If you do go there and do some work to try and rectify you will be the only one left holding the baby so to speak. I would wait and try and get a joint site meeting with the other parties then come up with a joint solution.

S

Spare Tool

Interesting one this and I've thought about it quite a bit. You can spend 50k+ on a car and only get a three year warranty. No more than a year from me!!
Have always joked about a five day(till cheque clears) guarantee but this is first one to come n bite me on the ***, feel like I should at least go take a look but as said above plumber and builder should also be on site..

S

Spare Tool

my clients sometimes ask for warranty.
I say, when paid warranty expire.
then it client never pay. :(
Thing is I've never ever offered any guarantees on any of my work and nobody has ever asked for any, that's the reason for the thread to find out if folks are offering them and if so for how long..
I've
been onto the builder this morning and he's gonna meet me at site on Tues so will report back

I

Italy

Thing is I've never ever offered any guarantees on any of my work and nobody has ever asked for any, that's the reason for the thread to find out if folks are offering them and if so for how long..
I've
been onto the builder this morning and he's gonna meet me at site on Tues so will report back
They are problems of workers.
who is at the bar does not have problems
dear @Andystiletiling ( Northern)

S

Spare Tool

is it a foam or rigid former? had a foam one fail and had to rip it out but turned out no support underneath! i was getting all the blame until this was discovered. got paid for redoing it in the end though.
It was a foam former, builder installed it before I started so never got a chance to see what was underneath. The sites a small cluster of old farm buildings that were totally rebuilt from the inside, think I did another 5 or 6 wetrooms at same site and only this one having a problem..

S

Spare Tool

Up untill a month ago id only ever tiled onto the foam formers, just done a wetroom and customer supplied a solid 1200x1000 impy tray, expensive but very impressed with it, still plyd under it though for my own piece of mind..

WP_20151116_002.jpg

S

Spare Tool

just fitted one on friday. using the waterguard as opposed to the tilesafe. only used the tilesafe with impey formers so far. the waterguard has to be easier!
Yeah used the waterguard on that job, can't see how it could ever fail being bent right down into drain is a great system. Just wish I'd have used it on the wetroom two years ago..

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Bit of a mine field imo.
What if someone calls back after a year saying there grouts looking grubby.
Or a bath's moved causing water ingres and tiles to fall off......fact is how far do you go with it all...
Most bad work tend to fail within a few months......after that it's mostly down to split mastic ...shower trays moving. Water ingress. And some customers tend to ignore problems that are simple fix'es to begin with until they become a major issue....best to have a look but make sure you don't get taken for a ride.

S

Spare Tool

Bit of a mine field imo.
What if someone calls back after a year saying there grouts looking grubby.
Or a bath's moved causing water ingres and tiles to fall off......fact is how far do you go with it all...
Most bad work tend to fail within a few months......after that it's mostly down to split mastic ...shower trays moving. Water ingress. And some customers tend to ignore problems that are simple fix'es to begin with until they become a major issue....best to have a look but make sure you don't get taken for a ride.
Agreed on that. Tbh if I didn't want to keep in with the builder I would probably have backheeld it. Always been good jobs, good payers and I know he's starting nine houses in Jan that'll have my name on em. I would imagine its him that would have given some sort of guarantee/warranty on his houses.
Will take a look Tues and see if anything's obviously amiss..

O

One Day

Agreed on that. Tbh if I didn't want to keep in with the builder I would probably have backheeld it. Always been good jobs, good payers and I know he's starting nine houses in Jan that'll have my name on em. I would imagine its him that would have given some sort of guarantee/warranty on his houses.
Will take a look Tues and see if anything's obviously amiss..

I'll come and install (or supply and install) his wet rooms & prep everything ready for tiling if you want Andy. No leaks - ever!
And perfect walls and floors for you.
Just a serious offer... (I'm getting sick of tiling tbh)

S

Spare Tool

So for anyone interested I went back to see job on Tues, ended up there for 4 hours, cut out and regrouted and sealed tray as hair line cracks all over the place, and grout crumbling round drain, builder agreed its the joist drying out twisted the tray, he wasn't and i wasn't sure if the waste had seep holes in it so we think the tray was filling up under tiles and water finding its way out somewhere, note to self to extend tanking a lot further past shower area in future..anyhow she's been using shower all week and alls good...my guarantee has definitely run out now as didn't even get a cheers, merry Christmas, here's a bottle of wine for your troubles :(

I

Italy

So for anyone interested I went back to see job on Tues, ended up there for 4 hours, cut out and regrouted and sealed tray as hair line cracks all over the place, and grout crumbling round drain, builder agreed its the joist drying out twisted the tray, he wasn't and i wasn't sure if the waste had seep holes in it so we think the tray was filling up under tiles and water finding its way out somewhere, note to self to extend tanking a lot further past shower area in future..anyhow she's been using shower all week and alls good...my guarantee has definitely run out now as didn't even get a cheers, merry Christmas, here's a bottle of wine for your troubles :(
good andy :)

S

Spare Tool

I've learnt this year - it doesn't pay to try and save a few quid with generic foam-core trays.
I'll always use Wedi or Schluter trays now. Last two cheaper ones I had were both bent and I've lost all confidence in them now.
Id say whichever tray was used on this particular job wouldn't have made any difference from the amount of twisting from the joists, its solid but the floor had moved so much it had split the silicone round the whole room and opened up a 5mill gap in some places..only difference as far as the leak goes would have been seep holes in waste

Reply to Guarantees in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays