Discuss Grouting tumbled edge in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
This is my first thread, so hopefully I'm observing all the rules...

I am struggling to grout tumbled edge tiles. I've got two issues, firstly the grout won't stay in the joins very well - if I leave it long enough to go off so that the sponge doesn't wipe it all away, then that means it's also too dry to remove with ease. Secondly, where we have grouted successfully, the joins between the tiles are starting to appear.

These issues are best explained with pics.

Here's the tiles...butted up to one another (tried leaving a space, didn't help).

PXL-20220216-124501828.jpg

A tile on its own...

PXL-20220216-124530036.jpg

And the awful looking grouting to date...

PXL-20220216-124515161.jpg

PXL-20220216-185937350.jpg

The grout I'm using is BAL superflex

PXL-20220216-124550355.jpg

The floor has 70mm of screed, so I'm assuming there's no movement in play here.

Really appreciate any ideas before we do toouch more.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
They are not “True“ chisel edge tiles, but a porcelain imitation chisel edge. They will have to be grouted as normal, then sponged off, to leave a straight edged grout line.

Reaction score
They are not “True“ chisel edge tiles, but a porcelain imitation chisel edge. They will have to be grouted as normal, then sponged off, to leave a straight edged grout line.
Thanks for the reply. Normal grouting is what I've tried, but if the grout is too wet it all just comes out when wiped...if it's too dry it doesn't come off the edges. Then there's the cracks that are starting to appear along the joins.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Normal grouting is what I've tried, but if the grout is too wet it all just comes out when wiped...if it's too dry it doesn't come off the edges. Then there's the cracks that are starting to appear along the joins.
The cracks suggest movement but it’s on a screed.
Are the tiles fully bedded and set grouting

Reaction score
The cracks suggest movement but it’s on a screed.
Are the tiles fully bedded and set grouting
Thanks mate. I believe so - I didn't lay all of them. Certainly the ones I did were. It was tricky because they butt up to one another, so we couldn't have any squeeze out. Perhaps we weren't liberal enough with it.

Reaction score
Theres a few variables
Most modern grouts are shrink proof
A wider joint would have lessened the uneven tile spacing and added more volume for the grout.
If the tiles are porous they could absorb the water from the grout Same for absorbtion into the screed. That would take the strength from the grout.
Cracking can sometimes happen if the tile edges are glazed and the grout is too dry to grab
If the tiles are fixed without spotting the glue there shouldnt be any movement.
The glue may have still been soft and grouted too soon . Standing on the unset tiles could move them
If the finished grout colour is patchy it could be inconsistent mixing in the bucket.
There are cleaners you can use for excess grout removal
Like I said the variables are endless.

Regrouting over the joints with very runny grout may be an easy fix. Depends how wide the cracks get.
Not professional though

Reaction score
Theres a few variables
Most modern grouts are shrink proof
A wider joint would have lessened the uneven tile spacing and added more volume for the grout.
If the tiles are porous they could absorb the water from the grout Same for absorbtion into the screed. That would take the strength from the grout.
Cracking can sometimes happen if the tile edges are glazed and the grout is too dry to grab
If the tiles are fixed without spotting the glue there shouldnt be any movement.
The glue may have still been soft and grouted too soon . Standing on the unset tiles could move them
If the finished grout colour is patchy it could be inconsistent mixing in the bucket.
There are cleaners you can use for excess grout removal
Like I said the variables are endless.

Regrouting over the joints with very runny grout may be an easy fix. Depends how wide the cracks get.
Not professional though
Thanks mate. Lots of things I hadn't considered there. Not a professional either (that's probably v obvious!!) I think I'll have to apply the grout in a v careful fashion (v fine trowel) and shape/wipe as I go. I can then add the wet mix to any cracks afterwards. Really appreciate the ideas . Ta

Reaction score
Thanks mate. Lots of things I hadn't considered there. Not a professional either (that's probably v obvious!!) I think I'll have to apply the grout in a v careful fashion (v fine trowel) and shape/wipe as I go. I can then add the wet mix to any cracks afterwards. Really appreciate the ideas . Ta
haha my professional bit was more that a professional job would be to rake it out and start again but too much messing for a DIY . Ive been a tiler for 40 years and these faults have been observations over that time. half of my year is now spent working in a hot country so the grout issues there are expansion and wet materials drying too quickly. You could put sealer on the tile as eddcottee says. try to keep it off the tile edges.

Reply to Grouting tumbled edge in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley