Search the forum,

Discuss Grout starting to crack around floor tiles in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

rl11tr

-
Reaction score
So any thoughts on a way forward?
Attempting to get all the grout, tiles and adhesive removed will surely destroy the NMP and chipboard?
I can only think to just leave and see how bad it gets and maybe lino when it gets really bad!

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
That’s your choice, sometimes on smaller floating floors, you can use longer frame fixings and pull the floor down tight to the substrate to remove bounce. Then tile with nmp again and S2 adhesive and a highly modified grout.

Garyo

TF
Reaction score
Just throwing in an idea ! Is this floor going to get light traffic, and is it your own home ? If so then there is another way…..rake out and vacuum all the old grout and replace with silicon mastic. All the movement that you had will remain but the joints won’t open up, and water won’t get into your floor. It will need to be light traffic though ! And take it easy with cleaning….

Jon591

-
Reaction score
:)
Any thoughts on the way forward? Is there a grout replacement that would be flexible enough to cope? - cracks are hairline. Do I have to take up tiles and adhesive and use S2 (or something else) - presumably a nightmare to take up and certain to destroy floor! Or am I just knackered and will just have to cover tiles with lino!!
You need a mastic joint matching grout colour around the floor to wall junction.
Should always have all tile to tile junctions siliconed anyway, as regardless of what they are fixed to, the grout always cracks and falls out as it’s not flexible

rl11tr

-
Reaction score

You need a mastic joint matching grout colour around the floor to wall junction.
Should always have all tile to tile junctions siliconed anyway, as regardless of what they are fixed to, the grout always cracks and falls out as it’s not flexible
Yes; floor to wall junction is siliconed and not a problem - there is only about 1m of floor to wall anyway

rl11tr

-
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the help

Thought I'd put up a photo to show what it looks like. The whole tiled area is only 2m x 1m. It's really just used as a cloakroom but happens to have a bath with shower over, in the room too. The hairline cracks are really hairline - wife can't see them but they are definitely there and there is the tiniest movement up and down if I press a couple of the tile corners. Cracks are only across the 1m width too. I'm thinking best to leave for now but take up tiles when they do come loose and screw down chipboard into concrete floor underneath. Then use more flexible adhesive and grout. I think I'd have probably been OK if I'd gone for S2 and a flexible grout in the first place. The Ultra Tile Fix ProFlex SPES S1 supplied seems to be like concrete with zero flex and the Mapei UltraColor-Plus grout doesn't mention being flexible at all.

20211126_160049.jpg

Jon591

-
Reaction score

Yes; floor to wall junction is siliconed and not a problem - there is only about 1m of floor to wall anyway
Ah sorry I misread the original post and assumed as it usually is that the crack was around the perimeter,
The tiler should have used a flexible adhesive and grout if not you will have this problem. If the tiler did follow correct instructions then as suggested your sub floor is the issue, and with that I can’t give a helpful suggestion

Reply to Grout starting to crack around floor tiles in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen