Search the forum,

Discuss grout or silicon in the corners? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

brendanbreeze

On what occassions should grout be used in the corners (where 2 walls meet, from floor to ceiling) in stead of silicon?

Cheers - Brendan

D

david campbell

never!
it's bad practice and over time it will crack and need replaced also allowing awater to penetrate behind the tiling work causing more serious problems,use an anti bacterial/anti mould silicone always:thumbsup:

B

brendanbreeze

Ok, And if the floors and walls are both tiled but different colours..say black floor white walls. Sholud I match the silicone to the floor or walls? sorry if these sound like daft questions, just trying to get it straight in my head.

P

Peter

On plastered/rigid walls I always grout the edges. Looks so much neater having tight cuts and a clean uniform grout line down the corners than a dirty bead of silicone. 10x the finish imo.

U

user123

There is no such thing as a daft question.. :smilewinkgrin: At the floor, as a rule, stick as closely as possible to the floor grout colour, much less obvious, and easier on the eye so to speak.

U

user123

On plastered/rigid walls I always grout the edges. Looks so much neater having tight cuts and a clean uniform grout line down the corners than a dirty bead of silicone. 10x the finish imo.

But,Wingn, there is no such thing as a rigid wall, houses move all the time. A clean sharp silicone line really finishes things off nicely.

P

Peter

Suppose it's personal preference really - I often think silicone can ruin the neat look of corners. Would use it in flexible situations but don't see the problem with grouting the corners of the majority of plastered substrates. My own bathroom has had all corners grouted for 15 years and all are still 100%.

Reply to grout or silicon in the corners? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen