Search the forum,

Discuss Grout cracked few weeks after installation in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
In about 2-3 weeks after we got our bathroom fitted we noticed that the grout cracked along one of the walls over its entire length. The floor and other walls were done with the same tiles and grout but this joint is the only one that developed a crack. Attaching the pictures.

We had to replace the wall plasterboard as part of these works as it was too thin. The fitter put large 2.4m high pieces of plasterboard on the top part of the wall and a 30cm pieces on the bottom part. He then tiled the top part, then tiled the bottom part in a few days afterwards and then grouted entire bathroom. He didn't use any mesh or anything to cover the plasterboard joint.

The plasterboard joint is exactly behind this grout joint, so basically it looks like this ('x' ‐ tile, 'v' - half tile, '-' - plasterboard joint)

XXXX
XXXX
XXXX
XXXX
---------
VVVV

Do you think this is the reason why the grout cracked? Seems very plausible to me.

I haven't raised this with the fitter yet, what solution should I ask for? Remove the cracked grout and then re-grout? Is it likely to develop a crack again? Should he use caulk or silicone instead? I'm concerned about the colour difference though.

Attachments

• 20220401_081348.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220401_081408.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 20220401_081417.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 42
Reaction score
Should the tiles be removed from both sides of the crack, or one side is enough (e.g. just below it)?

Also, could you please elaborate how the substrate should be sorted?

Thanks

Reaction score
Should the tiles be removed from both sides of the crack, or one side is enough (e.g. just below it)?

Also, could you please elaborate how the substrate should be sorted?

Thanks
Daves reply is correct. If wall sheets are fixed correctly then taping joints usually prevents this problem. Adding a flexible additive to new grout mix and raking out the old grout may work as removing tiles will probably damage the plasterboard and open up more problems.

Reply to Grout cracked few weeks after installation in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen