Search the forum,

Discuss Going Round In Circles in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

sjs888

Hello,
Please forgive me if this information is already out there on these forums as i have searched but not found the exact combination of ingredients i have.

So i have a small kitchen around 2.5 sqm, i removed the previous tiles a couple of years ago, quite alot of them where cracked(i'm not sure this is relevant but have included it for accuracy) anyhow quite alot of adhesive is left behind and it is rock hard, i have chipped alot of it away with a bolster but quite frankly think i would be an old man before i got it anything like level. So i bought a self levelling compound but when i rang the technical helpline to clarify a primer question i had, it turns out the leveller i have is not suitable for a floor with any remaining adhesive. the reason i bought this one is it came in a small 10kg bag and i figured i didn't need alot
So i have cleaned, swept hoovered and mopped the floor with stardrops solution, made a dam around the area i want to be levelled but dont know what products i now need to continue, i have 300x300 absolute black granite to go down but as of now i think i need
1)floor leveller, what type and where from
2) primer? sealer? pva? sbr?
30 do i prime or seal now then level then seal again or leave after levelling?
4)adhesive? what type? the reason i mentioned that the original tiles where cracked earlier was that i wondered if the wrong adhesive type had been used, the floor looks sound and i dont see any signs of movement
5)sealer? when do i seal, before laying? after grouting? both?
i appreciate its alot of questions and look forward to any help you can give me, just as i think i have found a way forward there seems to be a contradiction somewhere

Thanks

Simon

kitchen.JPG

P

p4ulo

1) Any kind of SLC (self Levelling compound) should then be fine on the floor (once primed as per 2), but be aware that some don't take kindly to much foot-traffic before tiling onto.

2) Prime the floor with what we call an SBR Slurry, its a thin paint-on-able mixture of SBR and powdered (bagged) tile adhesive. You want it about the consistency of single cream. Paint it on with an old brush, but don't worry if you use a nice one, it will rinse out! Its goes as grippy as a grippy thing. Perfect.

3) I think I primed the SLC once it had been left a day.

4) Your tiles - are they ceramic or quartz....only asking cos I've seen something called granite being a quartz tile.
If Quartz, then its special 2 part adhesive cos they hate water-using products. If not, then use a slow-set adhesive suitable for your tiles (I only say slow-set cos I assume you are a beginner and might not want a 30 minute pot life once mixed?)

5) Sealer - again this will depend greatly on your tiles, if you are sealing just the grout, obvs wait until its dry then seal.

S

sjs888

thats what i thought but i rang the manufacturer (bostik cempolay) they said it couldnt be used with remaining adhesive. the tiles are granite, i bought them from topps. so what type of adhesive and sealer? i presume i could use the adhesive powder you recommend for the slurry? but what ration and how much?

P

p4ulo

Ok....Granite tiles - I just looked on TOPPS site. nice.
I think (wait for others) you could give them a clean with a cleanser first, in order to remove any waxes / dusts / deposits from them prior to fixing.
Another clean after they are laid.
Topps sell a range of sealers / intensifiers / protectors which I've used before, depends what kind of finish you are after. Seal before grout.
Adhesive - Hmm. BAL do a great Pourable Thick Bed Adhesive (PTB) which I used recently with great ease on a slate floor with different depths of tile, again, do some research....it sometimes says on the side of the tile packaging what is recommended by the tile maker.
Yes - use same adhesive powder for slurry mix - I already told you - consistency of single cream / paint.

Good luck - keep askin'

E

ExplodingPudding

1.Give INSTARMAC or BAL a ring, they are the two companies that I have found to have great technical advice when I've needed to ring them regarding complicated issues for customers. They will advise you as to what path to take regarding the SLC.
2. Refer to point 1. Different products may have different requirements.

Regarding the adhesive, I would suggest a grey rapid set as you would probably want to get this floor usable quickly. The previous suggestion for PTB is only available in white from TT now.

Seal before grouting and after grouting. Clean before sealing. And I mean make sure those tiles are spotless or you'll be sealing in the residue!

Hope this helped!

L

LM

Did you make it clear to technical that it was cement based tile adhesive residue and not vinyl adhesive residue?
If you can't remove anymore adhesive residue with a hammer and bolster then what's left is going nowhere.
Prime the substrate with SBR, never ever use PVA with anything to do with tiling or flooring and then use a good two part levelling compound and it will be absolutely fine

F

Flintstone

I would just get a tiler in to do the job right, and nice. For the time and money your gonna spend faffing about, if you took the tiles up two years ago and are only just tiling it, it might take you two year to tile it!

Reply to Going Round In Circles in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen