Search the forum,

Discuss Glazed porcelein chipping in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

surflaur

Was on a job Today with some glazed porcelein and had lots of problems with my wet cutter chipping the glaze quite badly. Is there any way to get around this or is it just the nature of the tile? Or will I need to invest in a Rubi wet cutter at last!

T

tony TLC

did you use plenty of water sounds like u could have tried to burn through
was the tile peronda?:coffee:

S

surflaur

I also use a £30 wet cutter with a recent blade but they still chipped, I may have been cutting a little fast maybe?

L

lm tiles

I use a £30 wet saw and found if you use a new blade, plenty water and don't try and cut too fast they cut as good as anything Have cut porcelain tiles a metre long no probs

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
A meter long porcelain tiles? Where have you had those from? lol

Regarding your chipping. Chipping in usually either down to the tile type, the tiler pushing the tile into the blade too quickly, or not enough water in the wet cutter tray... (or sometimes the water is at the right level, but you have too much sludge in the bottom of the tray so actually again, there's not enough water in the tray).

If you feed the tile into the cutter at say 1mm oer second there would be no chance of chipping the tile you'd have to agree. So generally whatever the cause of the chipping is, if you feed the tile in at a much slower rate, the blade will have enough time to grind away at it's cut rather than it needing to hack away. If that makes any sense.

G

guy1976

score the line in your dry cutter first them cut on wet cutter that should sort your problem

S

surflaur

A meter long porcelain tiles? Where have you had those from? lol

Regarding your chipping. Chipping in usually either down to the tile type, the tiler pushing the tile into the blade too quickly, or not enough water in the wet cutter tray... (or sometimes the water is at the right level, but you have too much sludge in the bottom of the tray so actually again, there's not enough water in the tray).

If you feed the tile into the cutter at say 1mm oer second there would be no chance of chipping the tile you'd have to agree. So generally whatever the cause of the chipping is, if you feed the tile in at a much slower rate, the blade will have enough time to grind away at it's cut rather than it needing to hack away. If that makes any sense.

That makes complete sense! I do remember having to empty my guard of sludge! Ive got some more to do in a couple of weeks 10 X 10 X 15mm glazed porcelein, i'll have to bump the price up on those. :) Thanks All

L

lm tiles

tiles came from porcenalosa i think . was working in a large house in the middle of Edinburgh . looked great when they were up . floor to ceiling all walls . Three tiles to the m2

G

GazTech

We have a porcelain tile,1200 x 600 made by the turks,gorgeous to look at but very tricky to cut length ways :icon9: brilliant for fireplace hearths
icon14.gif

Reply to Glazed porcelein chipping in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen