Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Getting grout off ceramic tiles clean in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

m4rky

Hi,

We have just had floor and wall tiles fitted in our bathroom and after leaving them 24hrs to dry I tried to clean the grout off them last night.

I used our normal flash floor cleaner and some cotton cloths.
I have managed to get the big lumps of grout and adhesive off no problem but now it has dried a lot of the tile seem milky in appearance (as though the grout is still on).

How do I get rid of this milky appearance? I have had a quick search on the forum and Lithofin has been recommended to others.

We have ceramic tiles, called sicily, from B&Q. They are un-glazed, so are rough to touch, and also very good at ripping the cotton cloths to shreds :)

Thanks,

Mark

M

m4rky

Is this the stuff I need?

Extensive Limited > Cement Residue Remover - 1L

If so, what do you apply it with and can you get it from B&Q??

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

If you have used normal grout then you may well find that if you leave it to dry normally the "haze" should just polish off with a dry lint free cloth.

It is not normal for ceramic tiles to be unglazed unless they are solid body porcelain. (These can be glazed too)

If you have a rough texture to the tiles you may want to try the product from Lithofin, it is very good but I doubt you will get it from B&Q.

I was a bit concerned that you say you had adhesive residue to clean off along with the grout! It is normal to clean everything before grouting. Hopefully your "cloudy" appearance is not actually scratching of the glaze from the dry adhesive you have cleaned off.

M

m4rky

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think I can polish the residue off as the tile is too rough.
When cleaning I had to use a new cotton cloth for each wall as it ripped them apart.

Also I hope the adhesive has not damaged the tiles. There was only very small amounts of this on the edges of some of the tiles. I assume it was adhesive as it was grey in colour as opposed to the white of the grout.

I want to avoid getting the Lithofin over the internet as I could do with sorting it out this weekend. What sort of places sell it?? Topps Tiles??

G

grumpygrouter

Topps usually sell Fila products I believe and I have not used them so I can't comment but from what I have read it is good stuff. I get my lithofin from an independent dealer.

D

DHTiling

When you say you left them 24hrs before cleaning.....you don't mean you grouted and then left them 24hrs before celaning them off do you...?..or are we talking they were washed off and then you left them 24hrs before cleaning the residue off..?..

M

m4rky

Well the tiler wiped over with a sponge after he had grouted.
Then I let it all dry for 24hrs before trying to get the rest off.
Some of the residue has gone but the tiles are still quite milky coloured.

My wife spoke to the tiler today and he expected that it would all come off no problem and he was surprised.
He suggested I try a kitchen/dish brush with water and if it still doesn't shift then he can come over and use a weak patio/brick cleaning solution.

D

DHTiling

I would use a product designed for removing grout residue rather than brick acid , but let us know how it goes...

G

gonk31

topps do resideu remover which is a grout film remover and also do grout clean up pads which is an abrasive pad with 4 different roughness of pads

M

m4rky

Then get him back he hasnt finished yet...........

This is what we intend to do. He did clean the tiles when he finished but when they are wet they look great! Its when they dry they get the haze.
He has said he'll come back on Thurs/Fri this week and use a mild brick acid on them.

But I thought I would give it a go myself:
A) because I wanted it done quicker than Turs/Fri.
and B) Wanted to use something milder than acid first.

topps do resideu remover which is a grout film remover and also do grout clean up pads which is an abrasive pad with 4 different roughness of pads

Yep bought these. I got FILA Grout Residue Remover (Neutral), not the acid based one. I also got the pad set.

I spent hours over the weekend scrubbing the walls and a fair bit has come off but there is still a haze over most of the tiles.
The two non-abrasive pads have now completely disintegrated.
So I have given up.

Thanks for all your advice.

Mark

T

TilingLogistics

Right, I am busy Wednesday to Friday this week and off on holiday next week until 29th July. If your tiler doesn't get it sorted and you are still unhappy. I would be prepared come up and do it for you as long as you cover my fuel and expenses if that is any good to you.

Kev

Reply to Getting grout off ceramic tiles clean in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks