Search the forum,

Discuss Garage Tiling: what prep/adhesive? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

DIYDan

-
Reaction score
I've read multiple threads over the last few weeks and get different or even contradicting advice in each.

I've got a 5x5m integral garage with a 3 year old well finished concrete base. It's not polished smooth, but it's fairly level. I put down SBR to contain the dust 2 years ago.

I want to tile it myself as I'll need to do it bit by bit and I'd just annoy a pro. I've read different stories about prep required, decoupling membranes, adhesives you should use/shouldn't use, but I'm no clearer.

Looking at the floor, I feel like I should be able to go straight to tile with a good quality adhesive. Am I wrong?

I intend to use vitra dotti 8mm tiles. Any general advice on completing the job nicely would be great. It's not the first time I've tiled, but it is the biggest and could get expensive if I mess it up!
[automerge]1593331919[/automerge]
The floor in question

Attachments

• IMG_20200627_131743.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
I'm not experienced so I find it easier to get a full bed with a U notch trowel.

DIYDan

-
Reaction score
Thanks! I assume 10mm trowel also means ~10mm bed of adhesive? Just want to make sure I order enough.

Reaction score
For a square notch trowel the bed is usually half, so a 10mm would give 5mm bed,

Reply to Garage Tiling: what prep/adhesive? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen