Search the forum,

Discuss Floor spacer sizes for wood effect porcelain tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi, it's probably been asked before but here goes anyway. I believe the British standard recommends a minimum of 3mm spacers when laying floor tiles bit I'm looking at laying some 900x150mm wood effect porcelain tiles and was wondering if I can go less than 3mm? It's onto a good concrete base.

Cheers

P

Perfect Tiling

You can easily go smaller than the BS of 3mm.....but if you have any issues with cracking etc then the tile supplier will have a get out clause....as you didn't adhere to British Standards. You probably wont have any issues but better to know. If its a concrete floor then you should look at installing a decoupling mat...and ensure the floor if fully dry.

tile-jc

TF
Reaction score
I go down to 2mm every time but always de-couple and use a dark grout, dug out a little to further resemble the wood it's mimicking. Looks great! Also fun to reflect what a pukka wooden floor would look like - for example when/if you come to a finishing door threshold a proper carpenter would never show end-grain - so turn the last tile through 90 degrees . Good luck!

W

WetSaw

Cheap DIY shed planks, 2mm spacer with dark brown grout. 20181223_145433.jpg

Reply to Floor spacer sizes for wood effect porcelain tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen