Search the forum,

Discuss Floor screed in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Hi Guys
Hoping some of you can give me some advice on a job i have booked in for kitchen floor tiling.
The customer floor has had a self leveling compound (Mapei Restoration)laid down over the top of bitumen. Few concerns i have is that on part of the floor a hole has appeared around 100mm in diameter also the guy who laid it had come back on the customer request to redo some it as it wasnt level down one end of the kitchen.
Now the guy has over mixed it as you can see in the photos their was air bubbles in the mix also cracks have appeared.
Their is no UFH under the screed the screed i was told has been down for 6 weeks , other than the hole that appeared the rest of the floor does seem pretty solid. I was already going to put down decoupling membrane ie BAL or Ditra but i dont want to fix this down if the screed is not good enough and possibly needs redoing. Thanks

Hi Guys
Hoping some of you can give me some advice on a job i have booked in for kitchen floor tiling.
The customer floor has had a self leveling compound (Mapei Restoration)laid down over the top of bitumen. Few concerns i have is that on part of the floor a hole has appeared around 100mm in diameter also the guy who laid it had come back on the customer request to redo some it as it wasnt level down one end of the kitchen.
Now the guy has over mixed it as you can see in the photos their was air bubbles in the mix also cracks have appeared.
Their is no UFH under the screed the screed i was told has been down for 6 weeks , other than the hole that appeared the rest of the floor does seem pretty solid. I was already going to put down decoupling membrane ie BAL or Ditra but i dont want to fix this down if the screed is not good enough and possibly needs redoing. Thanks
View attachment 107348 View attachment 107349 View attachment 107351
I forgot to say the tiles that are eventually going to be fitted are 600x600 porcelain 12mm

Afraid you already suspect the answer...great product Mapei reno screed but used badly!! I wouldn't fix anything on that, do you know if it's even been primed correctly?
Hi Andy thanks for the fast response i will be honest the customer doesnt know but based on what i have seen i wouldnt want to assume he has.

L

LM

Just a few questions Is the tilemaster prime+grip ok to use as a primer , should i treat the Arditex or Mapei self leveler the same as anhydrite ie when set remove laitance and should i still use ditra or Bal matting on top of the screed once set even though their is no UFH.
Thanks
That primer will be fine once you’ve removed the failed levelling compound completely. If laid correctly Renovation screed does not need any further work to tile to. With a porcelain tile you won’t need to decouple although it’s never a ‘bad’ thing to do with tiles this size, but unnecessary in this case.

That primer will be fine once you’ve removed the failed levelling compound completely. If laid correctly Renovation screed does not need any further work to tile to. With a porcelain tile you won’t need to decouple although it’s never a ‘bad’ thing to do with tiles this size, but unnecessary in this case.
[/QUOT
No need for one then.
No need for one then.
Cheers for the help Lee i tend to always put a expansion gap in if its over 5sq meters or more in each direction. I dont tend to do really big flooring jobs as i have been working for less than18mths as a tiler and still learning i mainly concentrate on smaller jobs until im 110% confident i can carry out the work to a high standard plus i dont have the speed of others as i like to make sure its correct.

Reply to Floor screed in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement