Search the forum,

Discuss Floor fail...but why? - BCT "floor" tiles that are rubbish in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I posted a thread on the main forum about British ceramic tiles cracking on all Hardiebacker joins.

As it stands this hasn't been sorted yet as the rep was hard to get hold of and eventually said i need to go back to supplier.

I know they are going to say its my fault and I have to put right at my expense which i will do but looking at the pictures some of the cracks you could get a sheet of paper in there.

The house is a solid 1980's build, wooden floor boards in good condition, medium upstairs bathroom, all boards screwed down with 50mm screws, solid as a rock, Hardiebacker staggard over floorboard, screwed down with 25mm Turbogolds onto Ultra rapidset, 2mm gap between boards and joins taped.

Tiles laid day after floor prep with Ultra rapidset and 10mm trowel.

Fitted in Feb and lasted 5-6 months before cracks, never had this before but need to know whats caused it.

If I was reading this I'd think movement but from what and where? everything was as solid as a rock and as tight as a drum. Are the tiles fit for purpose?

Last edited:
S

Stef

As I said about these tiles previously they are not fit for purpose on a floor.
It's trying to prove they aren't fit for floor use.
Did you tape the joins of the Hardie?
If you didn't they will probably point to this as the cause for the cracks.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Pics

20160715_190218.jpg 20160715_190213.jpg 20160715_190209.jpg 20160715_190206.jpg 20160715_190051.jpg 20160715_190037.jpg 20160715_185959.jpg 20160715_185955.jpg 20160715_185828.jpg 20160715_185530.jpg 20160715_185821.jpg

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Some of those tiles are soft as ***** and today's modern adhesive are so strong it's the tiles that give before the adhesive..
It will come down to movement on the floor.....every wooden floor will move slightly...most tiles will take it no problem.....and imo there lies the problem.....***** tiles on a wooden floor!!

I

Italy

as stated stef,
tile does not break at 2 cm from the edge. as photos n° 5
I think tiles too tender, the hardest tiles are recommended.

T

Time's Ran Out

As previously stated - this is a thick wall tile biscuit that I would refuse to use on a floor.
Too late for Bob and with any board material any joins will travel through this soft tile.

Like the BQ porcelain tiles of a few years ago perhaps a thread solely for this tile should highlight the problem.

Reply to Floor fail...but why? - BCT "floor" tiles that are rubbish in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen