Discuss Fixing sink to tiled stud wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

jay

not real keen on wall plugs only weight of sink plus water maybe someone may lean on it be carful:8:

D

Deleted member 1779

"sinks"go in kitchens,bathrooms have wash hand basins
Oooooooo!

Well I still have to say I still prefer me nuts-n-bolts and am a bit of a coward with the Fisher kit.

basin_fixings.jpg

Fisher HAND BASIN fixing kit - Personal choice and nothing wrong with it!

I just love me old nuts and bolts.....
coach_bolt.jpg

Nut-n-bolt !
basin_fixings2.jpg

Mind you it MAY be over-kill because you could hang a herd of elephants of these and it wouldnt budge...

Hanging a bathroom hand washing basin from them is probably a bit overkill.

H

heatybob

fair play rich,both methods are very similar and achieve the same,but i think the fisher systemis a little more versatile as you drill the holes in the tile after they are fixed,but it must be said that both need some prep work prior to fixing ie-patresses for bolts/screw side of fisher bolt,and i dont think this can help the OP....
by the way 365 used one the other day an will defo be investing in a set:thumbsup:
keep up the good work richard :hurray:

J

jddevel

Two things.
Firstly in the absence of an obvious "batten" to fix to as a guide really good practice dictates that vertical studs should be 400mm apart working from the exterior wall inwards and horizontal 400mm apart working top to bottom then bottom to top alternatively. Well thats how I build my houses and my stud walls DONT shake. Unfortunatly you get what you pay for 600mm wide verticals and one horizontal if your lucky in "modern" thrown up properties.
Second point you may find that Thorsmans` Rota-Plug (The aluminium ones) are far better than ordinary plaster board plugs when ever fixing to plaster board-especially radiater brackets.

H

heatybob

Two things.
Firstly in the absence of an obvious "batten" to fix to as a guide really good practice dictates that vertical studs should be 400mm apart working from the exterior wall inwards and horizontal 400mm apart working top to bottom then bottom to top alternatively. Well thats how I build my houses and my stud walls DONT shake. Unfortunatly you get what you pay for 600mm wide verticals and one horizontal if your lucky in "modern" thrown up properties.
Second point you may find that Thorsmans` Rota-Plug (The aluminium ones) are far better than ordinary plaster board plugs when ever fixing to plaster board-especially radiater brackets.

Just to confirm wot JD says if you have a look at your tapes tomorrow you will see marks(usually diamonds) at 405mm and then every 405mm this is joist spacing marks as quoted above.:thumbsup:
sorry guys just being a smart a$$,but take a look its soooooooo true :hurray:

M

mags

Just to confirm wot JD says if you have a look at your tapes tomorrow you will see marks(usually diamonds) at 405mm and then every 405mm this is joist spacing marks as quoted above.:thumbsup:
sorry guys just being a smart a$$,but take a look its soooooooo true :hurray:

One of my tapes has diamonds every 400mm one has dots every 16inches 406.4mm .

D

Deleted member 1779

I found that fascinating so of course I rush to dig out my own tape measure...

And its covered in dots!

tape_measure.jpg

R

Rob Z

In case it is of interest to anyone, the diamond at 19.2" was developed for the engineered "I" joists that are used all over the US and Canada now.

With your tapes marked for 400 mm centers for joists and studs, the layout would change a bit for sheet good. Are sheet goods such as plywood, OSB and drywall sold in metric sizes to correspond to the 400 mm layout system?

J

jddevel

Just back from a relaxing holiday on canal boat . Hundreds of emails to wade through!!!!
Anyway most "board" is imported from Russia and such places as Malaya. They are approx. 1240mm wide and therefore not very helpful.

D

Deleted member 1779

By pure coincidence it turns out that Professional Builder Magazine actually featured 365drills as part of a project to promote Fisher fixings for the installation of a basin.

I had no idea about this article until the magazine editor posted me these pages as a heads up for the September 2009 edition which will be on counters in Jewsons, Travis Perkins, Wolsey Group and many other builders outlets..
pblogo.gif

professional_builder1.jpg

professional_builder3.jpg

professional_builder2.jpg

Its just spooky that the topic was started and then all of a sudden an editorial print comes out with the same subject matter...

And to think that earlier in the post I was saying I like coach bolts over Fischer basin fixings - so shame on me!

Maybe I better contact Fischer and tell them that we can supply a twin pack 12mm for use with their basin fitting kits!

Anyway thanks to Professional Builder Magazine for printing the editorial / article and for giving a big shout out to Porsadrill and 365Drills..

PS: If anyone is interested in the full screen article of page-2 then its visible on this site (above its too grainy to read)

R!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Fixing sink to tiled stud wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks