Search the forum,

Discuss Fitting ufh for 1st time, advice please?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

aflemi

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Because an area has been"dug out" and replaced you effectively have two joints in your substrate. Whilst I would expect no vertical movement I would expect some horizontal movement due to thermal expansion and contraction. The joints are supposed to be reflected through the tiles. Clearly this would be impracticable not to mention look awful. I think this is one where a decoupling mat is appropriate. It will take account of the "different" substrates and then you would not have to wait for the repair to dry either so straight ofroward sand cement mixed in a bucket would do the trick. G-mat says it is sutiable on asphalt - I guess the other are as well. It would also help avoid all that tiresome preparation

Spoke to both Gemini (G-Mat) and Schluter. Both basically same idea but Schluter were slightly more informative. The question of suitability over bitumen is really down to the adhesive/bitumen contact. (I decided to lay a slurry coat after reading advice on here, Mapei were particulary negative on using their products on it.). Schluter say ditra should be tiled onto directly and any movement/cracking underneath will be absorbed so I am following this order:
1/ Slurry coat.
2/ Insulation on rapidset.
3/ heat mat
4/ slc/rapidset adhesive covering
5/uncoupling membrane on rapidset
6/adhesive
7/tiles
(everything flexible of course)

Reply to Fitting ufh for 1st time, advice please?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen