Search the forum,

Discuss First tiling project - just need to vent in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water membrane, proper notching, back-buttering.

Then I learned that in the section from when I first started laying tiles, there were voids -- one tile rocking. I had to remove and replace 20 tiles.

While laying, the leveling clips I was using would lift the tile a small amount from the substrate, so it wasn't allowing the notches to collapse. I spotted this happening and adjusted how I laid the tiles for full coverage... but I made the stupid mistake of not going back to undo the 20 tiles I had laid.

My dad being the construction guy, we argued over this project so much, as I had to stand my ground when I needed to disagree with him on whether something was done correctly or not. Tiling is neither of our specialties, yet he was confident in telling me the tiles would be fine when I realized the notches weren't collapsing. This was real stressful since I give so much trust to my dad's word.

I want to make the place of home that we go to get clean durable, beautiful, and inspire possibilities for future renovations and remodeling. I needed to express this somewhere where people understand the difficulties to meet that goal. After this project I can say some smallest part of me is a tiler now. At any place where there's a tiling job, I now stop to look at a good or flawed job and all of their (im)perfections and it gives me a little joy each time. It's something new for me to nerd out about. Thank you guys for what you do.

Reaction score
Hi mate walls are never flat unfortunately 😂 that is a tilers dream. It’s a skill to tile but being able to pack out tiles is another skill in itself.

Sounds like your wall wasn’t flat best thing to do is check the wall with a level before you start and if there is an deviations or bumps it should be made flat before starting.

Reply to First tiling project - just need to vent in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen