Search the forum,

Discuss first major commercial job! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

pursedog

Hi guys,

Been tiling for about 6 months now and have mainly done kitchens and bathrooms.

Have aquired a big job- 100sqm floor tiling for a shop using polished porcelin.
The tiles are expensive and i really want to do a good job.
Any advice on what tile cutter i should invest in as i think my rubi TS-40 won't be up to it? Also I have a D-cut wet saw which i bought from topps months ago but very rarely use, blade has gone on it and i was wondering if anyone knows where i can get a replacement as it has been discontinued? Or does it matter which make the wheel is?

The tiles are 450mm and around 10mm-12mm thick.

Advice much appreciated........

D

DHTiling

hi pursedog....congrats on the job...........Either buy a new cutter or just hire one..CTD hire hand cutters out to the trade etc .....as for the wet saw blade..just take its size and hole bore and contact neil from buybrandtools and he will sort you out with a nice marcrist blade...it will eat those tiles no probs............
And don't forget you will need a good porcelain impregnator as well........

good luck and maybe take some pics for us as well.............

P

pursedog

cheers dave good advice.

need to get a really good level cause any slight deffect will really show on these tiles eh!:whatchutalkingabout

looking forward to the challange hope i dont balls it up!!!

would you apply the impregnator once grouted?

D

DHTiling

Normaly you would just seal after to prevent future staining.....depends on the quality of the tile as well...some of the cheaper ones are better off sealed first.......if in doubt though mate ..seal them first...

P

pursedog

been told they're £10 each so the'll be alright i'd imagine sealing once.
what sort of time do ya think it should take?
80-100 sqm seems a lot. hopefully should have a mate mixing the addy for me to speed things up.
also would you grout as you're going or do it all at the end?

P

Perry

well done pursedog your TS should be ok you shouldn't have to many cuts for a wet saw get a granite porcelain blade should be ok sorry don't know what your cutter is you don't make the floor level just flat unless there is a reason ? you wouldn't want a step into the shop if it isn't level be careful when sealing some quality tiles take hardly any sealer, thats all i tile shops never had the floor to myself yet in over twenty years they my want you to tile one side first then grout :pete

P

pursedog

hi guys,

jus thought id let u know how its going so far......
started badly bought a new rubi cutter but it wasn't up to the job so using my wet saw now which is loud and messy.
been on it ten days working my nads off.
only had help from a friend 2 of them days who mixed addy 4 me etc.
nearly there, but my body is a wreck. never worked so many days solid on a floor! back and knees in pieces, and the sun has finally come out in london and i'm stuck underground working with no natural light 24/7!!!!!!:furious3:

can't wait to get done and paid :yes:

Reply to first major commercial job! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen