Discuss External Mosiac Advice needed in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Art mo

Hi everyone

Firstly, I hope this is posted in right place? apologies if not.

I am about to embark on a project with my students to produce an external mosaic tree, which will be approximately 10 ft tall. My concern is the board. I have considered treating marine ply with yacht varnish but have been reading, on this site, about backing board used in wet rooms etc. Would this be durable enough for outdoor use? am also unsure of which adhesive and grout to use. The tree is going to made in peices and erected (drilled) onto a brick wall in our college garden, which will be visible to all, gulp!

I have made mosaics previously, but not for outdoors.

I would appreciate any advice, thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

I

Ian

You are right about the cement board. Hardie backer is available 12mm thick and this would be my choice for your task. Ply would deform if it ever got wet. Your artwork will last for years if you use a cement board. All the best with the project.

I

Ian

Thank you for your reply. Do you know if it can be cut into shapes?

It can be cut to any shape you like (you may need a grinder or electric cutting tool), wear a dust mask though. To answer the adhesive/ grout question, use a flexible cement based adhesive (powdered in bags that you add water to) and a flexible grout.

D

DHTiling

Hardibacker boards are NOT suitable for exterior use....

My choice would be a thicker Aqua type panel board..

Aqua panel Exterior is a good choice.. Knauf Aquapanel Exterior Cladding System - Intro & Components

Last edited by a moderator:
I

Ian

Aqua panel Exterior is a good choice.. Knauf Aquapanel Exterior Cladding System - Intro & Components

I didn't know hardie's couldn't be used outside, think I need to do a bit of reading up.

I

Ian

I wonder why they have those little display models in the shops with a piece of the board submerged in water? Surely if it can withstand that it can go outside? Unless it can't take low temperatures. Did they give you a reason why?

D

DHTiling

I wonder why they have those little display models in the shops with a piece of the board submerged in water? Surely if it can withstand that it can go outside? Unless it can't take low temperatures. Did they give you a reason why?

On the button Bri, down to frost etc and they just will not guarantee it outside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I

Ian

I've just read the PDF and it's in there. So that's me learnt something today!

Art mo, my above advice is incorrect so please don't use hardie cement board.

A

Art mo

Thanks Dave, its quite a minefield!!

Reply to External Mosiac Advice needed in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay