Search the forum,

Discuss Epoxy Grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mistral

Anybody got any advice on the best way to apply epoxy grout that will minmise the work involved in scrubbing it off?
Any advice would be appreciated as I have 180 sq. mtrs, to do, and I'm dreading it!
Thanks in advance.

edited......... the grout is mapei, and it's onto limestone and porcelain.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

You need to make sure thr stone and tiles are proprly sealed and use a hard r ubber grout float to apply the epoxy...working in small area's and wash down first with warm w ater and an emulsifying pad...then finish off with a sponge...kerapoxy is easy to work with..

There will be full instruction on the tub but heres the pdf instructions to read as well...

Broken Link Removed

M

mistral

You need to make sure thr stone and tiles are proprly sealed and use a hard r ubber grout float to apply the epoxy...working in small area's and wash down first with warm w ater and an emulsifying pad...then finish off with a sponge...kerapoxy is easy to work with..

There will be full instruction on the tub but heres the pdf instructions to read as well...

Broken Link Removed

Thanks for that Dave. I was kind of hoping someone was going to tell me about a miracle epoxy applicator that pipes the grout straight into the joints, so no need for scrubbing!
I know there are applicators on the market for normal grout (although I've never used one), but I don't imagine that they would work with epoxy.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Their are epoxy guns on the market, never used one and the m2 your talking about would take forever, that's if they would work over a couple of m2, I would imagine a lot of nozzles would be needed. I've just been on a job about the same m2 as your about to do, wasn't fun :(

D

dagger

placing the UNOPENED tub in a bucket of boiling water helps soften the epoxy resin inside the tub!!!

softer epoxy is easier to apply!

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
placing the UNOPENED tub in a bucket of boiling water helps soften the epoxy resin inside the tub!!!

softer epoxy is easier to apply!

I forgot to mention that, we were stacking ours about 4 deep around a radiator, if you can get the epoxy warm it mixes very smooth and creamy, still a pain, but less of, slightly.

R

Rob Z

As Dave mentioned, sealing the stone is a MUST. We apply not less than three coats of sealer on stone before using epoxy grout. It is a lot of extra work, but it is worth it (and a lot less work than trying to deal with epoxy residue that is stuck in the face of the stone :yikes: ).

S

Spud

the mapei epoxy is quite stiff in consistency imo i always use the litokol epoxy its very easy to work with and comes with their own cleaner which leaves a really nice finish there is also loads of colours to chose from ,glitter and glow in the dark additives

M

mistral

the mapei epoxy is quite stiff in consistency imo i always use the litokol epoxy its very easy to work

I'm stuck with the mapei as it was supplied by the customer but I'll bear that in mind for future .
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

T

Time's Ran Out

The only point I would add to some excellent advice (dagger) would be to make sure you have rubber glove protection with plenty of good quality sponges.
Barrier cream should be applied on all exposed skin and check that you are not allergic to any of its components.:thumbsdown:

Timeless John.

D

dagger

absolutely, john.
never underestimate the amount of sponges you need!
its massive, and the gloves and barrier cream is general GOOD ADVICE!

i personally use the cheap dishwasing sponges, but a hell of a lot of em!

Reply to Epoxy Grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys have a big gap above tray to fill 2cm high 1cm deep (3/4in x 1/2in) Any suggestions...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen