Search the forum,

Discuss dust pressed or encaustic in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

lucius

TF
Reaction score
How do you tell the difference between encaustic and dustpressed ime trying to determine what tiles i have in a room in my house in Spain so i can restore them a bit with the right stuff.
Cheers Lucius.

S

Spud

I think encaustic is a liquid formed tile in either clay or cement these are often multicoloured or patterned tiles ,the dust pressed are exactly that dust sprayed into a mould and pressed to create a biscuit these are normally evenly coloured or mottled,its going to be hard to tell the difference if they have been down a while

Last edited by a moderator:
D

diamondtiling

I think this is one for Timeless John or Tommyzoom, can you put some pictures up?

:thumbsup:

T

Terry Cottar

How do you tell the difference between encaustic and dustpressed ime trying to determine what tiles i have in a room in my house in Spain so i can restore them a bit with the right stuff.
Cheers Lucius.

Are they plain or patterned? How old is the house? Any Pics

tel

lucius

TF
Reaction score
They are plain 6"by6" about half inch thick laid chequered board cream and dark red laid in lime morter the house is about 150 years old but wether the tiles are that old is any ones guess as for pics if anyone can tell me how to do it ile try as i dont have a clue.
Cheers Lucius

S

Spud

resize your pictures to around 800x600 pixels save them in a file on your computer, press the reply button on this thread write some content then press the white bar button on the screen that says" manage attachments " a new window will open and the tf server will allow you to double click on the file you want and then hit the upload file button your picture will then be attached to your thread much the same as attaching a file to an e-mail give it a try it took me a while to suss it out good luck :thumbsup:

lucius

TF
Reaction score
Tried to send pics but it wont have it just comes back and says cant be done or something like that, how do you resize pics to 800*600 this might have something to do it, sorry boys never done this before aint got a clue but realy want to do this.
Lucius.

F

frankenfurter

They'll more than likely be spanish cement encaustics, they usually look like a sandwich when removed as they have a coloured side and a plain grey backing. Coloured white cement is poured into a mould as slurry then backed up with dry cement and pressed with about 4000 psi until firm and left to cure for around 30 days.

Very different from the British victorian encaustics tiles which are made from either plastic clay (early victorian) or pressed semi-dry clay dust (later victorian)

Reply to dust pressed or encaustic in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen