Search the forum,

Discuss does wet UFH need ditra matting??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

adros88

Hi. I have a sand and cement screed (75mm deep) with wet underfloor heating installed. The screed will be 5 weeks old when tiles are planned to go down. The underfloor heating will have been run up to temp and down over the 5th week. I'm currently getting quotes to tile it. I've read that a de-coupling mat should be used but as with most things in life everyone seems to have different opinions :lol: We have chosen a modular porcelin tile. The only thing that is agreed on is that the screed isn't a great level so they all want to latex it first. As the rest of the downstairs is being latexed due to a poor original screed it's no big deal to get the kitchen done at the same time.

Any advice on drying times and the use of a matting would be really helpful.

Many thanks

P

paul flight

you have two dif screeds one old and one new it is more than likley that the joint in between them will have movement due to settelment .also the floor will contract and exspand with the heating .so decouple it with matting afte levelling it with a flexibale latex ..hope and make sure yuo get a full width of matting where the floors meet.

B

bugs183

I'd go with an uncoupling membrane every time. I always talk the customer through the pro's and cons about them. Also i don't believe that a porcelain tile is any less likely to crack than stone, so i recommend a membrane for all floor tiles.
I prefer Ditra, can't explain why i just get a better 'vibe' about it over Dural.
Underfloor heated screeds can and do crack.

A

adros88

Thanks everyone for the advice. I've been using this site for a while and got loads of useful advice from other posts. I've had two tilers round to quote (did try for 3 but got stood up by the first two i booked to meet!) Neither of them mentioned matting until I brought it up. They didn't seem too bothered about putting it in but I think I'm going to insist on it.

The new screed only meets the old at the door way between the hallway and the new kitchen floor, so the ditra can start flush with the door.

Does the extra adhesive used to lay the matting make much difference to the UFH performance?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Uncoupling is not essential however in line with the other recomendations and for the sakeof the relatively small cost in comparison to the possibility of the screed cracking and causing a tile I also I think I would go for it on this type of screed.

I am concerned that ou think that you can run the heating up to temperature and down again ready for tiling in a single week. To do this properly and despite the advice given in the British standards which is very poor this runup and down should be gradual. Switch on at ambient and leave for three days, increase by max 5 degrees per day up to maximum temperature, leave at this for three days then reduce the temperature by the same maximum 5 degrees per day then switch it off for three days prior to moisture testing and finally tiling ifit is dry enough. Any quicker than this and you could well end up with crazy paving.

B

bugs183

The ditra and adhesive won't make any difference to the performance of the u/f/h Adros.

S

Shamblehouse

This is interesting.

Would you guys still recommend ditra if the screed was a liquid one like lafarge or truflo? with a bog standard ceramic tile?

B

bugs183

Yea i would, virtualy every screed i've seen of this type has crack in it somewhere.

D

Dave H

I would always use Ditra, if you use anhydrate liquid screed, be prepared for
much longer drying time, surface will need to be scarrified to remove top surface
and primed once fully dried out

Reply to does wet UFH need ditra matting??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen