Search the forum,

Discuss Does grout stick to Universal general purpose Polyfilla? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

I have finished a mosaic on a round piece of jigsaw cut and sanded ply/weatherboard (35 cm dia), which I had sealed all over with waterproof PVA - (now don't shout at me Dave, that was before I read your stern words of wisdom :eek:)

Now I would like to give the cut edge a nicely rounded smooth finish, probably most suitably carried out with all purpose polyfilla (any other ideas, go right ahead!), and then undercoat and gloss or enamel paint that edge (as well as the back) in white, to make it really weatherproof and to visually blend in with the white grout (Ultra) I'll be using, so basically it'll look pleasingly finished from all sides. It is meant for my parents' old peoples' flat balcony wall, and will live there come rain or shine....

The question is, at the points where white grout (Ultra) and polyfiller meet, will they connect happily or separate from each other? Would be a shame to have hairline cracks. I can do the glossing last, right up to where the grout will be...

G

grumpygrouter

have you considered decorators caulk? it is flexible, waterproof and paintable when dry.

D

doug boardley

a bit of crazing mosaic girl, you could pass it off as delft ware,(got an "A"level in pottery):grin:

D

doug boardley

I did some plant pots for home using glass mosaics (on old chimney liners) I used ultra flexible grout, they've been outside 4 years and still stable:thumbsup:

U

user123

I did some plant pots for home using glass mosaics (on old chimney liners) I used ultra flexible grout, they've been outside 4 years and still stable:thumbsup:
yes, I know the ultra will be fine, just not how it will meet/combine with the polyfilla or now maybe caulk...the shaping of the edge is more of an issue than the grout...bit preoccupied here, as I am alternating looking at the screen with crawling about on the floor trying to catch the mouse the cat brought in, now looking at us from under the cupboard, not knowing that the cutest cat in the universe won't kill it but hand it to me as a present, fully alive and intact, and then I give it a hospital recovery stay in a glass jar complete with dried grass and bird seed before letting it off again on the clifftops behind our house ...when the cat isn't looking...now that is what \I cann an exciting life on a Friday night...now back to playing Dr Dolittle...byeeeeeeeeee

D

doug boardley

trying to visualise from your description,is it a round breadboard with a mosaic on top. (sorry to be so ablative,it's just the way my brain works!)

U

user123

trying to visualise from your description,is it a round breadboard with a mosaic on top. (sorry to be so ablative,it's just the way my brain works!)
yes, exactly, just that its thick exterior ply, so the edge isn't that neat, shaped and smooth would be better...getting bored with myself fretting about it...but a perfectionist to the end....
ablative ... very Latin...

D

DHTiling

Can you not just spread grout around the edges..then shape and smooth with sandpaper once set...?..

Reply to Does grout stick to Universal general purpose Polyfilla? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen