Search the forum,

Discuss do i need to prime this old cement floor? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Brad

hi all

about to tile a cement kitchen floor......need to pick your brains...

the owner has removed old "vinyl" tiling from the floor. the vinyl tiles were simply resting on what looked like a type of moisture proof hard board. the hardboard itself has simply been resting on the cement floor, so no fixing has been involved, no adhesive or anything, resulting in an old but clean floor.

my question relates to priming. being an old, existing floor, is it still advisable to prime? or am i ok simply with adhesive?

that's it.....short and sweet. Many thanks for your input

B

brian c

personally i always prime concrete...but check with the manufactureres recommendations for priming /fixing .

G

grumpygrouter

Generally only a good clean is required, but I too always give a coat of diluted acrylic primer as it "locks in" any residual dust. There is normally no other specific reason to prime.

L

Leatherface

Usually a very diluted coat of acrylic primer on old concrete, leave to dry. Cannot do any harm, reduces dust

Reply to do i need to prime this old cement floor? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen