Search the forum,

Discuss Do i need insulation boards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

B Endsor Tiling

I have a kitchen floor to tile for a builder who is using the electric underfloor heating and was wondering if he needs to use insulation boards .the floor is 50mm sand and cement screed layed over 80mm kingspan

D

doug boardley

50mm screed seems a bit shallow for a screed imo, but insulation boards will help with the warm up to the floor surface as you won't be having to heat the screed as well.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The extra cost of insulation will always be clawed back through running costs, over time.

Though that aside, the performance of the UFH will be drastically increased if you use insulation. The warm up and cool down times are both improved meaning with a digitial thermostatic controller the heating will only ever be on when it needs to be.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

50mm screed seems a bit shallow for a screed imo, but insulation boards will help with the warm up to the floor surface as you won't be having to heat the screed as well.

Me to Doug, 50mm a bit tight. Maybe Ajax will give his unrivaled expertise on this. I would havt hought 70mm:thumbsup:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Minimum BS for sand cement floating on insulation is 65mm.

If you don't use insulation the electric heating mat will have to work very hard as you will end up trying to heat the screed as well. That will significantly impact response times, costs and life span of the heating system. It will also act as an uncoupling membrane for the tile face so the defficient depth of screed won't cause a long term issue.

Reply to Do i need insulation boards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen