Search the forum,

Discuss Deflection in timber sub floors in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian Harris

Does anyone know of any authorative publication that specifies the allowable deflection tolerances in wooden suspended floors when laying marble tiles
(in my case 600x600x20thick)
Cheers
Ian

R

Rob Z

Hi Ian, I know this won't help you or be a binding standard in the UK, so I just offer it up in case you're interested...

Our TCNA (Tile Council of North America) and the MIA (Marble Institue of America) use L/720 as a "standard" for deflection of the substrate under natural stone.

I

Ian Harris

Rob
Thanks for that
Coincidentally the client is an American so perhaps I should be looking at US standards!
So far I have been unable to find any authority in the UK that will commit on deflection allowances
Some informal advice is L/1000 but this is practically a concrete floor
L/720 sounds more practical
Cheers
Ian

D

dilz000

I'm pretty sure you don't want any movement at all so why give it a tolerance :s

I

Ian Harris

Zero deflection is the ideal but nigh on impossible to achieve on a suspended timber floor
so it is a matter of establishing what is acceptable

P

peckers

20mm stone will add alot of weight to a suspended floor dont forget to take this into consideration...

Reply to Deflection in timber sub floors in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen