Search the forum,

Discuss cutting long porcelain in the Tiling Tools | Tile Cutters, Trowels area at TilersForums.com.

M

Matthew77

Shame you’re not closer, could have used my Rubi TC180 that will work just fine for what you want.

I wasn’t aware of that ruby cutter. How do you rate that? I get the feeling something like that if it worked well would replace the big dewalt table saw

O

Old Mod

Personally, when I was doing that kind of work I have nothing but good to say about it.
Except one thing, it doesn’t mitre, but I do mine by hand so to me it makes no difference.
But overall it’s excellent I think.
A couple have bought on my recommendation and as yet have not slagged me off haha
@macten I think bought one.
If you consider it after more thought, do not buy ruby rails, buy festool, they’re cheaper by the mm, at least they were.
And clamps are a must, you can clamp rail direct to tile.
Water fed is best, but messy. I would make a chute to nearest drain with a tarp.
Dry cut is very dusty and extraction only works with blade at full depth, that can be a hinderance.

M

Matthew77

I think like you I’d not really be looking for it to do mitres, just a straight clean cut on long tiles. Setting it up wet looks like it’d be well messy and a bit of a hassle tbh I think I’d be looking at using it for dry cuts ideally. I don’t mind setting up outside as working inside bathrooms all day it’s nice to get outside every now and then unless I’m working at the top of a block of flats but I tend not to take jobs like that any more.

Looks like £400 plus rail £100 plus clamps x2 £90 = nearly £600!

B

Bill

Why not buy a Sigma or Montolit 1200 cutter then sell it on and you will not lose much on it especially if you keep it in good nick?

M

Matthew77

Why not buy a Sigma or Montolit 1200 cutter then sell it on and you will not lose much on it especially if you keep it in good nick?

A straight cutter isn’t going to help me out much in this situation as I need to do L-shaped cuts around windows and the bath. I tend to do almost all of my porc cutting on a diamond blade as I find dry cutting porc nowadays with a score and snap cutter doesn’t seem to get good results.

B

Bill

Well no. The secret is to scribe the cut first, then you can with nibble out with sharp tile pincers or use a grinder to cut up to the scribed edge (if you have a steady hand) then that will leave a beautiful neat edge where the scribe line is. You only need to do the short cut, then put the tile on the 1200 tile cutter and snap away and you will have your L cut.

M

Matthew77

Well no. The secret is to scribe the cut first, then you can with nibble out with sharp tile pincers or use a grinder to cut up to the scribed edge (if you have a steady hand) then that will leave a beautiful neat edge where the scribe line is. You only need to do the short cut, then put the tile on the 1200 tile cutter and snap away and you will have your L cut.
Ah yes, that’s why I do them on a wet cutter. As by the time I’ve scored, nibbled and grinded along the score I just as well cut it on the wet saw. Sorry I misunderstood and thought you meant I could just score and snap a 90degree cut

Here you are Matthew, back to square one

Makita 196845-3 125 mm Dust Collecting Guard - Multi-Colour https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013219MXO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yS.hBb9W4BWT2

Thanks 3fall

I did look at those from the first link you posted but wasn’t sure about the boxed in style. I think if I can get one delivered in the next day or so I might take a punt on that for now and grab the ruby one at a later date.

Thanks for all your help all

Reply to cutting long porcelain in the Tiling Tools | Tile Cutters, Trowels area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen