Search the forum,

Discuss Customers! Looking for perfection? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

Time's Ran Out

It’s in open forum so ‘mind your language ‘!
On Monday last week I did something I’ve not done for a very long time and in fact I can’t remember ever for the reason to divulge.
I packed my tools and left a job after spending the day before on a small downstairs Wc.
Anything I said would’ve sounded as though I was making excuses but I know it was a customer who I wouldn’t be able to placate. Didn’t want to in the end!
He told me I should be using a wet saw on 50x20 ceramics from the Ukraine (BCT in disguise) so I could take mm off and leave a good edge,
He showed me how he tried to clean my joints of adhesive on a 4-6 hour adhesive so that the grout would fully fill the lines.
He suggested that I dot and dab the tiles like he does so the joints are left clean.
He had prepared the walls himself and had painstakingly built the room ready for my finish.
B6329749-213D-4CDC-B3B8-80B0D1F7A5DD.jpeg

It would have looked better grouted but who ever says that to a customer.
As I said - excuses - and I know where he was coming from, but sometimes rubbish tiles and rubbish walls doesn’t mean rubbish Tiler!
Sometimes you have to realise you can’t polish a t*rd.
Have the days of doing a decent job gone?
Are we being subjected to finite scrutiny at every stage of the job from dust sheets to hoover or have I just encountered Mr Internet who looks for perfection in everyone else?
I do my best.

D

Dumbo

Don't really know what to say , but he was lucky to have a top craftsmen in his house who does give a damn about what they do . Thing is these people come along seldomly but when they do it feels like the last one was only a couple of days ago , I'm lucky I have dodged a few bullets when I've told my plumber friend I'm not working for them he then says what a pain they were .
Forget it and move on , it's just the same as pricing when you're told you are to expensive then the next person tells you , you were cheaper than the other guy ,
So forget and move on .

T

Time's Ran Out

I think we have all come across Mr perfection, he’s bloody lucky to be getting such a good job.

In his view he wasn’t!
Another Tiler had done his bathroom when he wasn’t there. He mentioned the grout lines not lining up and the mess around the whole house - yet was happy to accept it as a finished job.
Extra vigilant on my room and as I mentioned I wasn’t in the mood to complain or justify my work - it must be age but I got a bit of pleasure walking away although I don’t think the Bathroom co. we’re too happy with me. But as per some threads on here, you get little bits of information as you go and the whole picture built up tells you not to start in the first place.
Hindsight .....

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Some people eh!

I can recommend a good dabber though.
(See my latest pics) ;)

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I tiled a 40 m floor in a new wimpey home, house last month, for the customer before they moved in.
They spent £800 on a " professional snagger".....who new they existed, to come in and snag the place before they moved in.
362 snags later he left........ leaving wimpey homes with a massive headache.
And some of the things on the list was nothing short of rediclus !
How long will it be before this kind of thinks creeps into the private sector ....... imagine that having your work scrutinized by some stranger who goes through your job with a fine tooth comb till he finds a fault...!

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I tiled a 40 m floor in a new wimpey home, house last month, for the customer before they moved in.
They spent £800 on a " professional snagger".....who new they existed, to come in and snag the place before they moved in.
362 snags later he left........ leaving wimpey homes with a massive headache.
And some of the things on the list was nothing short of rediclus !
How long will it be before this kind of thinks creeps into the private sector ....... imagine that having your work scrutinized by some stranger who goes through your job with a fine tooth comb till he finds a fault...!

Wasn’t there one of those on here last year?

D

Dumbo

Actually reminds me of Frankie Howard on Wogan when a young actress was saying they were having their opening night and she was worried because the critics would be there , so Frankie said, " don't worry about critics , they're like unics in a ***** house , they've seen it done , they know how to do it , but just can't do it themselves ,

B

Blunt Tool

Know how you feel John, I walked from a job for a bathroom company because I refused to start a whole tile from the bath, the bath was fine but at top one side was whole tile and other side was an inch gap. Customer said I hadn’t a clue and questioned if I had ever tiled if I couldn’t rake a small cut in! Then he questioned why I had bags of cement (Ultra adhesive) as opposed to the pre mixed tubbed adhesives the professionals use and why I was using that blue cheap cutter out of a DIY store (Sigma) instead of the professional Rubi? He even phoned the bathroom company to ask if I was even a tiler, I walked before I I did something I regretted later!

Reply to Customers! Looking for perfection? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen