Search the forum,

Discuss Custom grout colour?.........Lime green? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

K

Koth

Ahem....Fully expecting to get shot down by you pros but I have to ask......

Fabric dye, any good for mixing with white grout before applying to the wall?

I'm a DIYer, I've tiled my kitchen with lime green tiles, all other surfaces are drab colours, grey, brown, cream. I did a test patch of brilliant white grout and the missus says it's too bright and stands out too much. She wants to try and match the grout colour to the tiles, or thereabouts. I have been ploughing through the Google search list for days and have come across the following topics of discussion:

-Use acrylic paint to colour the grout
-Use fabric dye to colour the grout
-Use chalk pigment to colour the grout
-Use food colouring to colour the grout

I have bought green and yellow chalk pigment from Mosaic World but the green pigment is nowhere near the right colour so mixing yellow into it (to try and make lime green) is pointless.

Have you any experience with any of the above methods? Will fabric dye (I can buy this in the correct colour) fade over time? By the way, I have already bought a tub of Unibond pre-mixed grout and would like to use this if possible as it has been opened.

Suggestions on best way of achieving this much appreciated please?

Cheers
Koth

T

Time's Ran Out

I doubt if the pre mixed tub of grout you already have will accept the colourant.
Only time I've used colourants for grout was Forest green cement tones and if mixed with an Ivory powdered grout may provide the colour your after.
Remember to test a small sample area first and let it dry for a couple of days for the finished colour to come out.

K

Koth

Thanks both. Jade green is the wrong colour, maybe mixing some yellow in with it will get a reasonable result.

Is there not a single company out there that mixes custom colours in the same way that Dulux do with emulsion? Seems bizzare in this day and age of poncy interior designers and the like.

C

charlie1

i once saw in a diy program (so it must be true then) that... Coffee could be mixed with grout to colour it!... must be true, was on the telly!! :)

Reply to Custom grout colour?.........Lime green? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen