Search the forum,

Discuss cscs card in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

smokey1234x

i work in n'ireland i mite b headin 2 motherwell 2 work and hav been told i will need a cscs card,could some1 tell me wat this is?

P

project damager

CSCS was set up to help the construction industry to improve quality and reduce accidents.

CSCS cards are increasingly demanded as proof of occupational competence by contractors, public and private clients and others. They cover hundreds of occupations so whatever you do in construction there will be a card that is suitable for you.

Full and complete details can be found at http://www.cscs.uk.com

All the best

Brian - The Project Damager

S

smokey1234x

CSCS was set up to help the construction industry to improve quality and reduce accidents.

CSCS cards are increasingly demanded as proof of occupational competence by contractors, public and private clients and others. They cover hundreds of occupations so whatever you do in construction there will be a card that is suitable for you.

Full and complete details can be found at http://www.cscs.uk.com

All the best

Brian - The Project Damager
i hav no proof that i am a tiler as i hav never done any courses
how do i go about gettin cscs card

D

DHTiling

CSCS cards: a Q&A for builders..etc..

The Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) is a way of proving that everyone on a building site is qualified to do the job.
Tradesmen and women have to be formally qualified to receive a CSCS card and more than one million people have signed-up with the scheme since it started in 1995. Our quick guide explains the benefits of having a CSCS card – and how to get one.

I’m only a small builder – how does this affect me?
Homeowners won’t ask to see proof of your qualifications via a CSCS card for small domestic jobs. But if you win a subcontract package on a sizeable construction site, the main contractor will often insist you have a fully-carded workforce. Any job run by the 14 members of the Major Contractors Group will demand 100% membership of CSCS. Employing people who are qualified under the scheme also offers you a guarantee of their skills.
Sounds like a good thing to have. How do I get one?
You can apply by downloading a form directly from the CSCS website.
What happens then?
The first stage of the process is to pass a basic health and safety test at one of a network of online test centres. Tests can be booked directly.
Ok I’ve passed that, what’s the next stage?
You now have to show proof of being qualified in your chosen trade to NVQ standard. You may have to sit new exams or be tested at work if you are an experienced worker.
So if I’ve been doing the job a long time - I don't have to take more exams?
No, not necessarily. If you are an experienced tradesperson with no formal qualifications an assessor can watch you at work and convert your skills into an appropriate NVQ qualification. This is known as On-Site Assessment and Training (OSAT), or Experienced Worker Practical Assessment (EWPA). Both these routes can cost more than £500 per employee to pay for the assessors’ time but the fees can be claimed back in grants from ConstructionSkills. Find out if you're suitable for these routes here.
How much does it cost to get a card?
All basic CSCS cards cost £25 and it costs £17.50 to sit the health and safety test. Extra costs start to ramp up if you go down the OSAT and EWPA test routes (explained above).
Are there different types of card?
Yes – there are nine different coloured cards in all covering everyone you would find on site from trainees to senior managers. The full range of cards and the occupations covered are listed here.
I’ve been offered a fake CSCS card down the pub, is it worth having?
No. The scheme administrators have vowed to bring the police in whenever forgeries are discovered
It still seems a lot of effort to get qualified. Can’t I just ignore the whole scheme?
Of course you can but CSCS is becoming the industry standard and finding work on site will become increasingly difficult without it. A card is proof that you can do the job and without one you will lose work worth far more than the cost of qualification.

Q&A: Can I get qualified 'on the job'?

Age-legislation-2.jpg
I've been in the industry for years and have built up my skills on the job. But now I'm getting asked for proof of my skills and qualifications by some contractors. I don't want to go to college at my age - what can I do?
Luckily, this is a common problem in the construction industry, and there are two routes to help you get qualified.

On-Site Assessment and Training (OSAT)
This helps experienced workers get the qualifications to prove they can do the job. It turns your existing skills and experience into a nationally recognised qualification such as an NVQ or SVQ.
The whole process is carried out through a number of visits on site so you don't have to take time off to go to college.
This also helps you qualify for a Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) card - important if you want to work on big construction projects.
For more information about OSAT, visit the OSAT sectionof the ConstructionSkills website.
Experienced Worker Practical Assessment (EWPA)
This is a fast route through the ConstructionSkills/City & Guilds awarding body. It is available for workers with a minimum of five years experience and who don’t need any further training.
It involves spending a day having your skills and knowledge assessed at an off-site location, normally your NVQ centre. This can sometimes be done at weekends.
All the skills needed to pass the NVQ are included in one task, which is observed by an approved assessor. It is currently only available for certain trades.
For 4 quick and easy steps to EWPA, visit the EWPA section of the Construction Skills website.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

project damager

Hi Smokey

You really need to visit the CSCS web site and have a good read.

Do not be put off by an assumption that you have to be qualified. The scheme is set up particularly to ensure Health and Safety in Construction. There are a range of cards available from trainee up to senior managers and professionally qualified people.

I have had a quick look just now and it looks to me as if “Wall and Floor Tiler” is your appropriate category but read through the list and make your choice.

I am reasonably sure that I have had guys obtain cards with “On the job experience” - it is not unusual for time served tradesmen to have no formal qualifications.

You will have to take a Health & Safety test – it is multiple choice and is pretty much common sense. There is a book which will provide you with example questions and answers – to be frank if you understand English and understand risks you will sail through this test, no problem.

Start at the Website – it is very helpful and will guide you through the entire process.

Good Luck!

Kind regards,

Brian – The Project Damager

C

ChaseTiling

i hav no proof that i am a tiler as i hav never done any courses
how do i go about gettin cscs card
Hi Smokey,

Have a look through the NVQ posts I have put here on the NVQ forum, they should help you. :)

If you have any specific enquiries, then please feel free to either post them here, PM me or contact me at the centre, where I shall talk you through the entire process of getting an NVQ & CSCS card, as well as removing any myth of how this can be acheived.

As a pointer, you will need a minimum of 3 (checkable) years experience of tiling to be eleigeable for an NVQ through OSAT (On SIte Assessment & Training).

OR

5 years (checkable) experience to be eligeable for an NVQ through EWPA (Experienced Worker Practical Assessment) - this is an NVQ done over 2-3 days.

OR

If you have less than either of the above, then you can acheive an NVQ in 26 weeks by completing an ICA (Intermediate Construction Award - Tiling), then running through an NVQ programme.

I must say here - ENSURE THAT THE CENTRE YOU CHOOSE IS CITY & GUILDS ACCREDITED in order to acheive these awards!! You will get some non accredited centres that will say they can get you an NVQ but in fact they can't!! THATS A FACT!! :)

Best regards,
Anthony
Chase Tiling Academy

Reply to cscs card in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I'm searching for 42 pieces of 12" x 12" Verde Alpi marble tiles. Preferably honed. 12" x 24"...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen