Search the forum,

Discuss Contractor Not Paying in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

J.R Tiling

Hi Guys iv'e been doing some work on and off for a Wickes Kitchen/ bathroom fitter for the last 4 years . Last month he took on a bathroom and asked if I would tile it.

I got a call from him a couple of days before i was meant to start to say he was going to start the tiling as he wanted to get the job finished , i turn up on the Monday morning to find the customer in tears as he's made a right balls up of it. He then makes his excuses and leaves telling me to "sort it out" .at this point im P**ed as you can imagine.

I ask the customer if she is happy for me to carry on and start on a wall he hasn't touched and she says to go ahead . when I get to the top row it is then apparent that he has started off to low as there is a 20mm gap between the top tile and the cealing. I explain this to the customer who is clearly unhappy so she calls Wickes to send a manager out to look at what he's done.

To cut a long story short Wickes are unhappy with it and me and the fitter have a falling out so I walk off the job.

3 weeks ago i sent him an invoice for a job i done prior to this one and for the 1 day i spent on this job i hear nothing from him so send another and then a final reminder today stating that if its not paid within 5 days ill take it further. He responds by saying that the wall i tiled was not up to standard so is not paying me , apart from the gap at the top witch i could do noting about the customer was extremely pleased with it.

I know there is nothing wrong with my tiling and he is just trying to find a way not to pay me but i just want to know were I stand and what should I do next

Many Thanks
John

D

dave l and l

the whole thing sounds like a balls up. i would phone him to discuss. failing that you can go to small claims
did the customer ever get e decent bathroom out of it

T

Time's Ran Out

Between the pair of you the customers has got a bodged job! Not setting out a room correctly is the first mistake and to continue involving the customer is wrong. If she called Wickes in she couldn't have been 'extremely pleased' and I'd suggest you may be lucky not to have them chasing for compensation. I'd put it down to the learning curve and remember the 4 years you've had off the plumber and walk quietly!

Reaction score
I wouldn't be bothered about the 1 day on the bodge job, I'd just be asking for the other completed job... as long as it was all tickety-boo

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
personally I wouldn't of touched the tiling in the first place.....you can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear...

S

steve187

I have learned over 40 years in the tiling game that there is a time to walk away from a job, the best time is before starting to lay the tiles, ( better to have a day cleaning/tiding the van than to have problems down the line with the work) it comes with experience and sometimes you have to walk away from the money as well. the one days work put down to experience, you should have in all honesty known you were going to have the small cut at the top prior to starting. the other job well that depends how much is owing. but as timeless john said think of the money you have had off him over the last 4 years. he will miss you more than you miss him.

J

J.R Tiling

Thanks for your responses guys , just to clarify the customer called Wickes in as she was unhappy with the work the fitter had done , she had no problem with the work i had done and has since contacted me to see if i can go back and tile the rest of the room for her unfortunatley ive got too much booked in to do it in the time she wants it doing. Im not too bothered about loosing the 1 day but he still owes me £600 from a previous job again this was a fit for Wickes and its all been sighned off as complete and the cutomer was chuffed to bits.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
in that case he has no reason not to pay you the £600 as it has nothing to do with the other job.. send a recorded delivery letter stating you want full payment with in 7 days or you will refer the mater to the small claims court..

Reply to Contractor Not Paying in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen