Search the forum,

Discuss Concrete panels on bathroom walls? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

Ah well now going on the training day at Porcel-thin. Going with my mate who’s a bathroom fitter :D

John..

Good for you John. :)

Great bunch of people, Ray is a great laugh and extremely knowledgeable.
Just don’t let your mate say “ I’ve been Tiling for ....... ....,, yrs, and I know what I’m doing!” :p
God help him if he does. :D

Watch and listen carefully and you’ll do just fine. :)

And of course come back and tell us how you got on. :):thumbsup:

Reaction score
Bathroom wall tiles all stripped off. Most of the walls are paramount which the plaster on them has remained intact.
Putting a straight edge across the walls, non are flat. About a 8mm gap over a 1.8m straight edge. Can I use 12mm or 9mm Kerdi board dot and dabbed on the walls to flatten them, then fix them with cavity fixings.
The tiles I’m going to be using are 1200x600 Porcel-thin.

Cheers
John..

14354180-A0FD-4661-BE2E-25A55639DCFC.jpeg

O

Old Mod

Having never had to deal with these paramount boards, my knowledge is more than limited.
Is it not possible to remove only the bathroom side and insert studwork in its place?
With 300 centres you can fix a 12mm board direct to stud work.
I know it’s probably a large amount of work, but I wouldn’t want to be dot and dabbing over plaster. It has a very low bonding strength to plaster board, of only 20kgm2, if you attempt to dot and dab more boards on to it and then add the weight of tile and adhesive, I’d imagine you would soon surpass its limit.
A porcel thin tile and adhesive is the wrong side of 12kgs, and it’s only 0.72m2

Reaction score
I was going to take one side down on the main wall as I was expecting it to be damaged removing the tiles. The problem now is the head and sole plate don’t run straight, if I remove them the wall will collapse.
Also it’s all the walls, one has a combinboiler on the opposite side :(
I was thinking of dot and dabbing it with about twice as many dabs as standard then a cavity fixing through every one
I suppose I could pull the one side down on the main wall add stud work then fit the Kerdi board on to the studs with tile adhesive to straighten it, then use screws and washers.
John..

O

Old Mod

You need as little deflection as possible. Thin tile bends a great deal, and must be well supported.
Bedding the tiles out is not an option.
Thinking again about it, maybe your first idea may be a better route, it would certainly add ridgidty to the wall, as long as you’re confident you can make it structurally sound and that the whole thing won’t pull away from the head and foot plate.

Reaction score
Went on the course, left at 5am, got back 9:30 pm.. now started putting things back together.
Marked all the holes for the cavity fixings and put them all in.

John
EA3D3131-7022-4405-A0CC-CC28CEE2B045.jpeg
6DBF8A02-6160-4357-979D-F30CBBBC29AE.jpeg
EA3D3131-7022-4405-A0CC-CC28CEE2B045.jpeg

Reply to Concrete panels on bathroom walls? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen