Search the forum,

Discuss college and apprentiship in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

gandan

Didn't they used to call those situations where you worked with an experienced tradesman for 3 or 4 yrs whilst attending college an apprenticeship?

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GazTech

They did in my day,worked for kitchen firm did city & guilds in Carpentry and joinery on day release...Gaz

F

Fekin

Some places do still do apprenticeships, but nothing like the scale they used to do years ago, when Gaz was a lad :p

Now a days, apprenticeships are seen as a way to pay young lads and lasses rock bottom wages while supposedly training them up on the job, with a day release for college.

D

DHTiling

these are known as Modern apprenticeships and they pay the individual £80.00 a week with one day release to college

D

Dicko1973

Did a three year apprenticeship Painting and Decorating. By the end of the three years I could memorise 15 mens butty orders, how many sugars in tea and which sauce they wanted on them. Can't complain though, good days.
I can just imagine telling a "Modern apprentice" to go the shop for butties.

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
Because you are very young when you do an apprentiship, you get all the crap jobs like making the teas, cleaning up, washing down all the gear and when youve mastered all those skills you are then their grout *****, a lot of the time you are just messing about. when you are 16 and 17 your mind is not set like an adult. When retraining as an adult, you can aquire the skills much faster if you are practically minded to start with and willing to learn

Reply to college and apprentiship in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen