Search the forum,

Discuss cleaning epoxy grout? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Daz

I looked at a job the other day, where the customer has his kitchen work surfaces (and backsplash) tiled with 50mm squares. The job was done many years ago by a pro tiler and doesn't look too bad but the grout has discoloured in some areas and looks slightly unhygienic now. The customer just wanted me to re-grout but the thought of raking out 6sqm of epoxy joints does not enthrall me, even with my Fein.

I don't fancy scratching a tile or causing any other kind of damage so the customer is happy for me to try to clean the grout and possibly re-seal it.

Can anyone recommend a product (or range) that will restore the original grout as there are no visible failures, it just seems dirty, please? Don't forget that it is epoxy grout (if that makes a difference).

Many thanks,

Daz

J

jay

hi any idea of make of epoxy you could try bleach 50/50 with water or stronger if required wear gloves ect remember epoxy is norm acid proof so that gives you a wide variety of choice :8:

D

Daz

:thumbsup: Thanks Jay.

I've no idea as to make of grout and it is poss 8 years plus in age.

The bleach idea didn't occur to me but makes perfect sense.
Cheers fella.

How's the weather with you? We had another dump of snow today :thumbsdown:.

Reaction score
if its true epoxy then if its seen its days, most staining comes from customers cleaning the grout with bleach , and many other cleaning products and not removing the film that builds up which just sitting on the grout,
Try using blue or black scotch brite 1st with just hot water , then try some softer cleaners, but if its epoxy it will be tough to clean ,
as for raking out you will struggle even using diamond blade , you will damage alot of the tiles as they are so small 50x50

Its risky in getting involved in cleaning epoxy grout, as long as you inform the customer of the issues ,
good luck be careful out there

Last edited:
J

jay

if it is a build up of cleaning residue (wax or silicone base ) caustic and warm water once again use gloves and glasses and watch bench tops and assesories :8:
methods i have suggested are recomended for epoxy grout not normal grout

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rob Z

Captain, we have had success cleaning dirty epoxy grout with Aqua Mix Heavy Duty Tile and Grout cleaner, scrubbing with white bristle brushes and rinsing with hot water, then using the shop vac to suck up the residue.

Reply to cleaning epoxy grout? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen