Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Chipping mosaic tiles when mitre cutting in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

V

vrytir

Hi, I am trying to mitre cut my mosaic tiles with my angle grinder using silverline stone grinding disc, but as you can see DSC_0306.jpg DSC_0305.jpg DSC_0304.jpg it is chipping on the edge. I tried it on my wet saw, but due to size of tile, it doesnt "sit" on the table and result is same.
Should I buy some better disc or any other help please?

I

Ian

What size are those mosaics? To help with your question, when mitring, leave it 1/2mm from the edge, this will avoid chipping.

I

Ian

I think maybe they will need to be wet cut with a top quality blade, mind your fingers though!

S

Saltire69

Dont cut the full length, go in 1/2 way from each side. This might help, and as Bri say's leave 1/2mm from face of mosaic.

V

vrytir

I think maybe they will need to be wet cut with a top quality blade, mind your fingers though!
I tried it, and I think I might have low quality blade. As it has been not just dangerous for my fingers, but I had chippings as well.

Can you recommend some top quality blade (200 mm), please?

B

borgie

try not using your angle grinder and scribe them on you normal tile cutter. any ruby ts will scribe and break most mosaic tiles, including glass,slow though, as you have to do them 1 by 1. if your doing a lot of mosaic work i would suggest you get a sigma mosaic cutter.

M

MTiler

try not using your angle grinder and scribe them on you normal tile cutter. any ruby ts will scribe and break most mosaic tiles, including glass,slow though, as you have to do them 1 by 1. if your doing a lot of mosaic work i would suggest you get a sigma mosaic cutter.

Montolits are very good for mosaics aswell. You could always use a diamond pad on the grinder to finish off the rough edges.

missyT

J

Jeff the tiler

Hey, you have set yourself a task with these. What linear length do you have to mitre. I feel even with Bri advise and then finishing off with a pad you will possibly have to allow for quite high wastage. Montolit via Kwik split tiling tools do a profiler which could possibly answer your question. Not sure of the cost though and if it is cost effective but might be worth a call to them to ask. The profilers are called "Mondrillo"

Reply to Chipping mosaic tiles when mitre cutting in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks