Discuss Chipboard + Marmox What adhesive ? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

V

V Man

Hi

I need some advise regarding adhesive and primer to overlay 18mm chipboard floor with 10mm Marmox board. Tiles 60x30 porcelain

I spoke to Mapei and they advised Eco Pro Grip +Keraquick + Latex - is that overkill?

Also is it possible to use slow setting adhesive to tile on Marmox ,like Keraflex S1 ?

Thanx

W

White Room

See no reason not to use slow set, why not use 6mm Hardie backer just glued and screwed to the chipboard...unless you have ufh.

W

White Room

Hi

I need some advise regarding adhesive and primer to overlay 18mm chipboard floor with 10mm Marmox board. Tiles 60x30 porcelain

I spoke to Mapei and they advised Eco Pro Grip +Keraquick + Latex - is that overkill?

Also is it possible to use slow setting adhesive to tile on Marmox ,like Keraflex S1 ?

Thanx

Personally wouldn't worry about latex unless the floor is that bad, just need some special washers with the Marmox board.

V

V Man

I spoke to Marmox today and they advised against screwing boards down because will weaken the board and prevent working as a decoupler membrane. On decent floors only adhesive is required , but they cannot say what exactly to use.
If You could advise on primer +ady I would appreciate that.

W

White Room

Your floor is woodchip and I would,nt put down Marmox without using fixings on top, how there going to weaken the boards is anybody's guess ??
They also state it's a decoupler....really!!

V

V Man

So I narrowed to 2 choices : Primer G + Keraquick or BAL APD + Rapid flex fibre plus.
or maybe someone have a better solution

T

Tile Shop

Your floor is woodchip and I would,nt put down Marmox without using fixings on top, how there going to weaken the boards is anybody's guess ??
They also state it's a decoupler....really!!

It does actually have decoupling properties. Probably not quite to the extent of Ditra, but because its triple layered, they can separate under stress and leave the face of the board in tact. If screwed down, the 3 layers would separate simultaneously. But saying that if the floor is bad enough to split an over-boarding, then the substrate should have been correctly prepared in the first place.

So I narrowed to 2 choices : Primer G + Keraquick or BAL APD + Rapid flex fibre plus.
or maybe someone have a better solution

........ If you insist with sticking with the marmox with no fixings, the adhesives you have suggested are incorrect. If you go by Mapei's product selector, for fixing anything to chipboard, prime with the Primer G, then use Keraquick with the water substituted for their latex plus (bloody expensive). As for Bal, they only recommend priming it with the APD and using their Singlepart Fast Flex (also bloody expensive). A cheaper option but probably just as good would be Tilemaster Ultimate S2 in conjunction with their recommended primer but I would double check with Tilemaster first.

You said in an early post that marmox said "On decent floors only adhesive is required". Chipboard is far from decent. Its a nightmare.

Hardie, glued and screwed is still the better option for bracing IMO.

O

Old Mod

Hardie is not marketed as a way to brace a substrate,
just as an inert substrate replacement.
Having said that, experience tells us it will in fact add rigidity to a floor, when glued and screwed.
Just don't try that as an excuse if a substrate fails with Hardie installed.
That's not it's specified purpose.

V

V Man

It does actually have decoupling properties. Probably not quite to the extent of Ditra, but because its triple layered, they can separate under stress and leave the face of the board in tact. If screwed down, the 3 layers would separate simultaneously. But saying that if the floor is bad enough to split an over-boarding, then the substrate should have been correctly prepared in the first place.

........ If you insist with sticking with the marmox with no fixings, the adhesives you have suggested are incorrect. If you go by Mapei's product selector, for fixing anything to chipboard, prime with the Primer G, then use Keraquick with the water substituted for their latex plus (bloody expensive). As for Bal, they only recommend priming it with the APD and using their Singlepart Fast Flex (also bloody expensive). A cheaper option but probably just as good would be Tilemaster Ultimate S2 in conjunction with their recommended primer but I would double check with Tilemaster first.

You said in an early post that marmox said "On decent floors only adhesive is required". Chipboard is far from decent. Its a nightmare.

Im not insisting on Marmox ,just have some freebies laing around. Havent used it before.
So in this case I'll use screws and washers or should I just leave Marmox and get hardie instead?
What I don't like about hardie is dodgy screws, very easy to overturn on a chipboard and hard to get it flush with the surface of the board. Ive tried impact driver and cordless drill with very little luck.

thanx for help

T

Tile Shop

Hardie is not marketed as a way to brace a substrate,
just as an inert substrate replacement.
Having said that, experience tells us it will in fact add rigidity to a floor, when glued and screwed.
Just don't try that as an excuse if a substrate fails with Hardie installed.
That's not it's specified purpose.

See your point. "Brace" maybe not the correct term. But still the preferred method to most.

as @3_fall, it will add rigidity. But you still need to do your best to ensure the chipboard is adequately screwed down and isn't like a trampoline. screws at 300mm intervals down the joist, and if the joists are any more than 400mm apart, might be advisable to lift the chipboard and add a few extra noggins to screw it into.

Not an expert on screws to be honest, but I know there was a thread previously about what screws people preferred. "Turbo Gold" seems to ring a bell?

F

Flintstone

I wouldn't put marmox over chipboard. Just get the hardie and have no worries in the back of your mind and not have to use extra flexible adhesive, hardie glued and screwed with slow set or rapid set s1, same adhesive for tiles, jobs a good en.

V

V Man

I wouldn't put marmox over chipboard. Just get the hardie and have no worries in the back of your mind and not have to use extra flexible adhesive, hardie glued and screwed with slow set or rapid set s1, same adhesive for tiles, jobs a good en.

Ok then ,hardie it is.+primer G & Keraflex S1 providing that I can use this adhesive on chipboard because Ive seen 2 Mapei manuals with 2 different instructions regarding "wooden conglomerates".Ill have to check up with Mapei on this one.
Just out of pure curiosity what is yours go to S1 adhesive for hardie floors ?

F

Flintstone

Always tilemaster for me.i don't think it's massively important about the adhesive to stick the hardie down, it's mainly to give it a flat bed and take up any voids, I think. I use nmp personally

Reply to Chipboard + Marmox What adhesive ? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks