Search the forum,

Discuss Child "Safety" Plug Socket Covers - Who uses them? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a bit of a shock last night reading this: http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/

With a 8 month old daughter I was just about to kit out the house with these as she's starting to get around now.

Turns out plug sockets are a lot safer with no covers on them at all. And the covers don't conform to the BS standard for sockets and plugs, there's a bit of a loop hole in the BS.

I'm now supporting the campaign with ElectriciansForums.co.uk and will be letting my family know about it at least.

F

Fliselege

Very intresting, my Mums house is in her words child proof, will send her that link, it'll send her paranoia sky high ha ha

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
There is about 3 hours reading and video watching on there. Very technical stuff, but that might put some people off reading it all. So I've suggested he makes a downloadable PDF leaflet that sparky's can hand out to clients with children. So when he makes it, I'll link you to that too. That'll make it more clear and then if your mum wants to read the lot there's always the website too.

[video=youtube;c82O8bI6u0c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=c82O8bI6u0c[/video]

Once a baby has it in their hand, they will often try to put it back in and generally play with it. They'll open the shutters that are designed to only be opened when inserting a plug, meaning they leave the live open.

So best to leave the plug cover out of the equation and simply remove all plugs around the plug socket so the baby can't play with them.

F

Fliselege

I've sent her the link and put it on my FB, the more the awareness there is hopefully there'll be less horror stories, not that I know of any fried nippers, and I hope not ever to!

W

White Room

The bit that perhaps is what parents maybe concerned about if a child pokes something, 1 item or 2 deeper into the socket holes than was shown, I realise 10mm was a safe depth....

D

DHTiling

Well i never... just shows how we can be duped by gimmicks..

Just watched the videos..

O

Olz

Haven't read it but i was told a while back that the third pin (top) is just there
to open the cover in the socket to allow the socket to work and the plug to go in, which is why it's commonly plastic instead of metal like the other two.

I was trying to use a plug on which the top pin snapped off and it
Wouldn't physically push into the socket because the third pin wasn't present. so the lower two pin holes covers weren't retracting.

Pretty simple design when you think about it, but an absolutely genious idea and one most people won't realise exists!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
It's only scissors that can get the socket open, and at the same time be pushed into the live feed.

The top pin is an earth I believe, but not all appliances need it (lamps etc). So it does physically do something too with some appliances (kettles and high wattage items I assume?) but it's a clever design really.

European two-pin plugs must be a nightmare for kids being shocked as I guess you only need a fork or something to connect to the live. Might be wrong there, there might be some safety mechanism built in - I've not got an adapter to hand to have a look at.

D

Daveshadowman

I used these type of covers when my kids were little always thought they were safe

Reply to Child "Safety" Plug Socket Covers - Who uses them? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen