Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Cancellations in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

robbieraven

Be interested to hear how everybody deals with these, of course things happen but I got a call Sunday evening that has left me empty for 2-3 days this week, just suck it up I suppose :)

Q

Qwerty

I have T&C's I serve with every quote or estimate which covers this scenario. I always ask for a deposit but I know a lot of tradesman don't like this. Always worked for me though [emoji106]

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have T&C's I serve with every quote or estimate which covers this scenario. I always ask for a deposit but I know a lot of tradesman don't like this. Always worked for me though [emoji106]

What do your t/c say about a cancel job?
Is it just the deposite they lose? Or do you invoice them for loss of earnings..

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Be interested to hear how everybody deals with these, of course things happen but I got a call Sunday evening that has left me empty for 2-3 days this week, just suck it up I suppose :)
This pees me off to. Get few a year cancel at the last minute. ......if they were self employed maybe they could understand how much it can cost us. .

Q

Qwerty

What do your t/c say about a cancel job?
Is it just the deposite they lose? Or do you invoice them for loss of earnings..
"You may cancel your order with no charge by informing us within 14 days of the order being placed. We Plan Tec Tiling & Wet Room Solutions *reserve the right to retain any deposits made if the cancellation terms are breached"

Under UK consumer law you would be on very sticky ground trying to write loss of earnings into any T&C's (would be deemed an unlawful term). You would have to try your luck in a court claim for that really

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
"You may cancel your order with no charge by informing us within 14 days of the order being placed. We Plan Tec Tiling & Wet Room Solutions *reserve the right to retain any deposits made if the cancellation terms are breached"

Under UK consumer law you would be on very sticky ground trying to write loss of earnings into any T&C's (would be deemed an unlawful term). You would have to try your luck in a court claim for that really

Do you take a deposit on every job even if your not supplying any materials..?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Fair play .....I think I would lose work if I insisted on a deposit on a £300 job that I wasn't supplying any materials on..

O

On one

I have just had a domestic customer on the phone tonight trying to delay a full week of tiling work by a week, because they and the joiner aren't up to speed.
No can do....it's been booked in for 3 months and my other work can't be brought forward.

Reaction score
I find this a frequent annoyance. I try and keep things moving by:
- Try customers who are waiting - this can work, or even reduce the lost time from one week to a few days.
- Keep some personal work to one side for such gaps.
- Go onto a trade web site, and buy an appropriate lead - I have done a few jobs for people who want the work done immediately, discuss in detail what the sub-strata /tiles/material requirements are, agree conditions on the phone. Then go for it. Works best for "tile-in-day" style jobs.
- Offer cancelling customer a date 8 weeks ahead - on hearing this they somehow find the enthusiasm to re-arrange things to reduce the delay or even cancel the cancellation!

Then again I get at least one phone enquiry a month from people who say "The tiler I wanted to do the job has now cancelled......"

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
deposits for every job even small jobs just take a smaller deposit relevant to the job cost will sort this out, used to get this sometimes too but its stopped since i went the deposit route

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Unfortunately I just think it's part of the trade, some jobs have hidden problems and can run over , I'm sure even some on here have got behind on some jobs, s few days here and there, when you do , do you ring the customer up and give them a discount ?????
Yes it's a pain , more so when you have a couple of employees , I just juggle , but taking a deposit (I would if I'm buying materials on a big job, say a grands worth or more) it's like holding them to ransom[emoji33] [emoji379]
Just my opinion like [emoji41]

Reaction score
If you make it clear in your quote that deposit is required then the customer can make decision whether or not to accept. I don't think that unduly bad, and I would not consider that is "holding them to ransom."

it it all depends (to me) on the value of the work. I have lost a lot of sleep on customers owing me several thousand pounds. On bathroom conversations I now require materials paid and delivered to customer, and staged labour costs. A friend in the roofing trade went bankrupt on one customer failing to pay. I learnt from his lesson.

Reply to Cancellations in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks