Search the forum,

Discuss Can I work on site as a tiler with just a green CSCS card? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tim the Tap

Hi,

Spent years working solely on domestic bathrooms tiling etc. Just looking to get back on the tools. The only work advertised is on site with CSCS cards... I unfortunately never bothered with nvq's, just a time served tiler.

Can I work as tiler on site with just a green CSCS card or do I have to enrol on on a nvq course to get recognised as a professional tiler??

Cheers in advance
Timo

G

Gazzer

Hmm well the correct answer is you should have the correct card but the reality is that it all depends on the building company and site agents etc.
I have the correct card but dont get asked for it often. My brother has the basic card and has been kicked off site before now but he can go on site with me if i say he is my labourer !!!

T

Tim the Tap

Cheers for that reply...I suppose that was the answer I expected. It all comes down to site managers etc.

I the truth is I've been tiling for years, but i also know that I can't be arsed to pay and then actually do a whole course just to get an nvq. I as I am not currently tiling I can't even get an inspector or assessor to come out and visit tiling jobs in progress. Bit of a catch 22 me thinks.

P

Pebbs

Tim, I wouldn't be worried, Ive never had a tiler kicked off site for having the basic card.

Pebbs

bansko

TF
Reaction score
A green card comes under the title (general operative) correct me if i am wrong, however as sir ramic says if your accompanied by a fellow tiler you wont have a problem. I myself travel all over the country and all sites insist on the correct card for the job, not only that but now they all want a foreman tiler with the right credentials ie must have 3 day health&safety course cerificate. Whether its a big site with maybe 20 fixers or a site which requires 1 or 2 they insist on a foreman tiler, not sure about the domestic sites (house bashing) maybe they are a bit more relaxed. I do feel sorry for a lot of fixers like yourself tim who have been around a long time and find themselves in this predicament, good luck mate.

T

taylor tiling

I'm in the same boat Tim. Cant get cscs card although I've been tiling since 2007 after doing BAL courses. ECS are exactly the same, ( electrical equivalent ), Cant get that cos although I have 9 years experience, 17th edition regs and c & g 2395 testing and inspection I never completed the final year of 2330. The cards are there for a reason tho and I think everyone agree's they are a good thing. I'm going back to college now after all this time to cross the T's and dot the I's to get the quals that I should have got when I was younger. Just hoping I dont have to sit through another 3 years of college that I've already done before to do it ! :) The same goes for the tiling. I'm looking to get the quals cos it's only going to be harder to get work in the future without them and hey, when you've got them, you've got them.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Tim, I wouldn't be worried, Ive never had a tiler kicked off site for having the basic card.

Pebbs

Who is gonna be brave enough to kick you off site??

Reply to Can I work on site as a tiler with just a green CSCS card? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen