Search the forum,

Discuss Can Anyone Offer Advice On A Rookie Mistake? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

donwheelay

Hi All,

First time poster in need of assistance.

Its been a while since ive tiled anything, and today I have proudly finished tiling a bathroom in a project flat which I have purchased as a fixer upper.

I had finished my days labouring and returned to look at my handiwork beer in hand and noticed one of the tiles had 'popped out'.

I sought advice on some forums and to my horror realised I had forgotten to prime the wall.

I tiled straight on to plaster (there had been old, and i mean OLD! tiles on the wall before hand which looked like they had been there forever.) using unibond anti mould bathroom adhesive. I have not yet grouted between the tiles.

What are the possible consequences of me having not primed the wall? None of the other tiles seem loose in any way - alas quite the opposite, they seem really well set and like theyre not going anywhere. However i dont want anyone to be sat in the bath and have a tile fall on their head or at worst the whole wall of tiles come crashing down.

I would be grateful for any advice or tips which anyone could provide me with. If it comes to it ill take them all down again - but obviously i also have no desire to repeat two days of tiling and if there is anything i can do to salvage what ive already done it would really set my mind at ease.

Rob

U

Unused Account 1

If theyve set and gone off ,you got away with ,also when you grout will bond it all together ,

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
I would say you have answered your own question... You wouldn't want any to fall of with someone in the bath. If one has already come loose!!!! That said you may be lucky and the rest stay firmly stuck.

M

Mr Tiler

If theyve set and gone off ,you got away with ,also when you grout will bond it all together ,
Read halfway through the o.p... Read this comment, get that tile back on the wall and grout up, if tiles pop off while your grouting replace them and ensure they are fixed before you continue, the ones that dont move are there for good lol

B

bcd-87

Hi All,

First time poster in need of assistance.

Its been a while since ive tiled anything, and today I have proudly finished tiling a bathroom in a project flat which I have purchased as a fixer upper.

I had finished my days labouring and returned to look at my handiwork beer in hand and noticed one of the tiles had 'popped out'.

I sought advice on some forums and to my horror realised I had forgotten to prime the wall.

I tiled straight on to plaster (there had been old, and i mean OLD! tiles on the wall before hand which looked like they had been there forever.) using unibond anti mould bathroom adhesive. I have not yet grouted between the tiles.

What are the possible consequences of me having not primed the wall? None of the other tiles seem loose in any way - alas quite the opposite, they seem really well set and like theyre not going anywhere. However i dont want anyone to be sat in the bath and have a tile fall on their head or at worst the whole wall of tiles come crashing down.

I would be grateful for any advice or tips which anyone could provide me with. If it comes to it ill take them all down again - but obviously i also have no desire to repeat two days of tiling and if there is anything i can do to salvage what ive already done it would really set my mind at ease.

Rob

Hi mate

Is the wall stud or block ?

I employed a handy-man a few years ago to tile a large bathroom wall he "forgot to prime "

a day later I shut the clients bedroom door and in doing so the bathroom next door begun to rain metro tiles !!! That was a stud wall.. The grout will help but as @Dan said don not rely on it...

Reply to Can Anyone Offer Advice On A Rookie Mistake? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen