Search the forum,

Discuss Best way to recess porelain tile to accommodate door hinge? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

O

ojtiler

Hi,

Coming to the end of my (long!) project to fit my own wetroom.... I've encountered a tricky problem; I have finished the tiling, but have realised that the hinges I need to fit for the main door are so close to the wall tiles I need to rebate the tile in order for the hinge to fit :yikes:.

Not sure how best to go about this one; for sure it's going to need a machine tool! The only tool I have which may be suitable is a small angle grinder.... I'm thinking I should be able to carefully use it to machine out a rebate? Please could anyone offer some advice - do you think this will work? If not, how best to tackle it? The rebate should be largely obscured by the hinge once it's fitted, but I want to do the job as neat as I can.

Many thanks.

P

Protilers

If I understand you correctly.....do as you say......grind out a notch....job done.......dont be tempted to put a timber "packer" on the door frame as the weight of the door will cause you loads of problems in the future!!!

all the best

Lee

O

ojtiler

Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my OP - and for your advice.

Is there a specific blade for porcelain angle grinding, then? (I already have a concrete cutting blade)...

Thanks.

O

ojtiler

OK, many thanks. Off to buy a porcelain disc for the ange grinder this weekend, then.

Really appreciate the advice everyone - thank you.

Reply to Best way to recess porelain tile to accommodate door hinge? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen